Thread: XSane scans are offset, scan area not correct

Beans

XSane scans are offset, scan area not correct

Anyone have suggestions on solving this issue?

Using Xsane to scan photos, I am seeing the following problems:

First I run a preview scan and select in the preview window the area to be scanned. When I next run a full scan, instead of scanning the selected area, the area scanned is displaced slightly to the right and down.

Also, the scan area shown in the preview window is only about 8.3" wide, when it should be 8.5" wide.

Other than the above, the scans work as expected. I have tried the following:
    - numerous configuration settings
    - uninstalled and reinstalled the MFC-440CN scan driver
    - deleted the .drc file in the .sane directory, and recreated it

As a work-around, I have been using GIMP to run the scans by selecting an area in the preview window larger than needed, and then using GIMP to crop to the right size - this works but takes a lot of extra time.

Edited to add: I also tried another Brother printer-scanner I have, and had the same issue, so I think this rukes out a hardware problem.

Using Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit)
    Printer/scanner: Brother MFC-440CN (USB connected)
    Edited to add: My scanner is using the Brother brscan2 driver.

Edited to add: Tested with an HP Photosmart printer/scanner and XSane. Did not see any of the above issues. Seems likely there is a problem with the Brother brscan2 driver, but this is not yet confirmed.
    Last edited by nathandetroit; August 7th, 2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: XSane scans are offset, scan area not correct

try the scanner front end in my signature, the back-end uses SANE
    * it has a built in editor if you need it
    if it has the same issue it is likely a driver bug
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; August 2nd, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks for your interst. However, I have tried a couple of other scanning programs (all using SANE for the back end), and have the same problem with all of them.

At this time I am thinking that the problem is with the Brother brscan2 driver. I have emailed Brother about this issue - have not heard anything back (amd I am not optimistic that I will get a response). If I do get a response from Brother, I will post an update here.

Update Aug. 9, 2013: I am corresponding with Brother via email on this issue, but as of yet there is no resolution. I will post further updates later.

Update Aug. 17, 2013: After several back and forth emails with Brother, I have convinced them that there may be a driver problem, and they have forwarded the issue to their engineer group for investigation. I will post further updates when I receive more information. I would also like to note that nothing posted here should be interpreted as a negative criticism of Brother. Even though Brother does not officially support Linux, they maintain a set of drivers (and related web pages with instruction and advice) on using their hardware with Linux. Although I would very much like to see Brother officialy support Linux, they do go a lot further than many other companies in providing Linux support.

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    try the scanner front end in my signature, the back-end uses SANE
    * it has a built in editor if you need it
    if it has the same issue it is likely a driver bug
    Last edited by nathandetroit; August 17th, 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nathandetroit View Post
    Thanks for your interst. However, I have tried a couple of other scanning programs (all using SANE for the back end), and have the same problem with all of them.

At this time I am thinking that the problem is with the Brother brscan2 driver. I have emailed Brother about this issue - have not heard anything back (amd I am not optimistic that I will get a response). If I do get a response from Brother, I will post an update here.

Update Aug. 9, 2013: I am corresponding with Brother via email on this issue, but as of yet there is no resolution. I will post further updates later.

Update Aug. 17, 2013: After several back and forth emails with Brother, I have convinced them that there may be a driver problem, and they have forwarded the issue to their engineer group for investigation. I will post further updates when I receive more information. I would also like to note that nothing posted here should be interpreted as a negative criticism of Brother. Even though Brother does not officially support Linux, they maintain a set of drivers (and related web pages with instruction and advice) on using their hardware with Linux. Although I would very much like to see Brother officialy support Linux, they do go a lot further than many other companies in providing Linux support.
    Hi, did you get anything from Brother, Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just detected same offset-problem with Xsane.
    I think it's caused by pixel calculation mistake: Scan preview is made by screen serolution 72dpi but Xsane calculates scanning offset with 75 dpi resolution. (This is only my guess).
    You can see that there is no offset upper left corner and it grows to right and bottom.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

XSane scans

I found certain scan resolutions (low res black&white I believe) to be not working (when export to .pdf), but most other settings work well. just find a proper one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread closed.

Over a year old. Thanks for sharing, but please don't wake the dead.