Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Saucy "broke" my Crossover installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Saucy "broke" my Crossover installation

A couple of days ago I noticed that apt-get dist-upgrade removed my ia32-crossover installation.

I haven't been able to reinstall Crossover ever since, and this is the one and only application I really *need* for work, as I am forced to use MS Office to create content.

When attempting to install Crossover from the CLI, I get the following:

dpkg -i ia32-crossover_12.2.2-1_amd64.deb
    Selecting previously unselected package ia32-crossover.
    (Reading database ... 326525 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking ia32-crossover (from ia32-crossover_12.2.2-1_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ia32-crossover:
    ia32-crossover depends on libc6-i386; however:
    Package libc6-i386 is not installed.
    ia32-crossover depends on ia32-libs; however:
    Package ia32-libs is not installed.
    ia32-crossover depends on lib32gcc1; however:
    Package lib32gcc1 is not installed.
    ia32-crossover depends on lib32nss-mdns; however:
    Package lib32nss-mdns is not installed.
    ia32-crossover depends on lib32z1; however:
    Package lib32z1 is not installed.
    ia32-crossover depends on lib32asound2; however:
    Package lib32asound2 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for doc-base ...
    Processing 1 added doc-base file...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ia32-crossover

When attempting install via Software Center, I get the following (see screenshots):
    http://screencloud.net//img/screensh...6bb8556847.png

Please advise. Needless to say, besides all the other issues (mouse not working, ACPI calls to function keys not working, etc), this is almost the final nail in the Ubuntu coffin for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu Saucy "broke" my Crossover installation

If you are having so many problems, why in the world are you using a development version.

Even though Saucy is relatively stable, we still do advise that you keep a previous version around, just in case problems like this turn up.

Beans

ia32-libs is gone, kaput, no more.

I'm not sure but you might need to wait for the next release of Crossover with revised dependencies (or use 12.04.2 eg). I'll be looking for a solution at the weekend when time is less pressing.

Teamviewer also borked on me but was able to fix that one.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you are having so many problems, why in the world are you using a development version.

Even though Saucy is relatively stable, we still do advise that you keep a previous version around, just in case problems like this turn up.
    Well, if it wasn't for folks saying that with the automated test cases each and every development version should be stable and usable, I probably wouldn't do this.

The issues that I noted regarding mouse and ACPI calls are regressions. The complete loss of ia32-libs is a genuine new issue...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    ia32-libs is gone, kaput, no more.

I'm not sure but you might need to wait for the next release of Crossover with revised dependencies (or use 12.04.2 eg). I'll be looking for a solution at the weekend when time is less pressing.

Teamviewer also borked on me but was able to fix that one.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Beans

I'd expect that by release Crossover will release a new deb that's more in line with how things are done now (and recently.

The ia32-libs doesn't really matter, just a metapackage & for the most part all that crossover needs is available.
    Atm it's still using *-i386 as deps instead of *:i386, but most are still there in *-i386.
    Ex. -
    libc6-i386 is installable, installs to /lib32 & /usr/lib32
    libc6:i386 is also available, installs to /lib/i386-linux-gnu & /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu (the current preferred way

The only package missing that it needs is lib32asound2, that's no longer in 13.10, it's now libasound2/libasound2:i386 only

So other than that, the current ia32-crossover_12.2.2-1_amd64.deb could be installed in 13.10 with no alsa support if one did a little work on the .deb & in synaptic.
    (or possibly link the various libasound2 .so's..
    Though I'd say waiting for it to upgrade or going back to an earlier Ubuntu would be better choice. (or maybe use an i386 install if inclined.

screen shows it installed on a amd64 13.10 I just put up to test something, seems to work ok in a very limited trial, (installed & ran winrar), not really advised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: forgot screen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, if it wasn't for folks saying that with the automated test cases each and every development version should be stable and usable, I probably wouldn't do this.
    Ah!, but saucy is still working is it not? So, saucy is stable and apt-get dist-upgrade did what it is supposed to do.

It tells APT to use "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

The upgrade did not break saucy. It broke an application that depended on libraries that were no longer part of saucy. As you have noticed the Software Centre will not install it for us because of the need to keep the development branch stable.

If you are looking for nails, this one is as good as the others. Get the hammer out.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
    A couple of days ago I noticed that apt-get dist-upgrade removed my ia32-crossover installation.

I haven't been able to reinstall Crossover ever since, and this is the one and only application I really *need* for work, as I am forced to use MS Office to create content.
    You could always install Windows in a virtual machine while waiting for Crossover to support Saucy (and Jessie).
    1) ASUS GL702ZC: Ryzen 1700, 32GB, RX580, MATE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, MATE@Manjaro-x64
    3) MSI GT70: i7-3650, 16GB, GTX680M, MATE@Manjaro-x64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    rrohde, I don't know what posts you have been reading but you probably shouldn't be using a dev version unless you can sustain a complete OS crash. There are over 10,000 softwares available for linux and I can't tell you how many still don't work in Raring much less Saucy. The switch from trayicons to indicators bleeped quite a few. My favorite Kompozer was missing from the repos for a few versions though it was hackable. It is up to the software devs to keep up with the OS and many don't try until the final release. Ubuntu uses the LTS to keep compatibility for business users and others that are easily scared. The VM suggestion is a good idea. For myself, I keep a copy of Windows 7 on an alternate HD to update my TomTom and do my Taxes once a year. Be careful! Just saying!

P.S. Oh! and don't forget to backup!
    Last edited by rrnbtter; August 2nd, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Do either of the workarounds here help: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...=26;msg=146859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast