Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Mate Desktop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marysville, Ohio
    Beans
    95
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Mate Desktop

    Hi all,

    I found a desktop called Mate which is a Gnome type desktop is it ever going support by Ubuntu? Or is there and I find it.

    Thank
    Jack
    Ubuntu User number is # 32503
    Registered Linux user #459726

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    277

    Re: Mate Desktop

    There is no official Mate spin of Ubuntu sadly, wish there was one though.
    Oh well there is always XFCE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Manchester
    Beans
    2,084
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Mate Desktop

    There are repositories for MATE on ubuntu
    http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#ubuntu

    otherwise mint is an ubuntu derivative with a MATE edition.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Beans
    69
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    There is no official Mate spin of Ubuntu sadly, wish there was one though.
    There ought to be one, for sure.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    There ought to be one, for sure.
    Why? Ubuntu supports Ubuntu. That is the correct thing to do. It would not be free and open source software in the fullest sense if one organization had responsibility and control of all software.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Beans
    69
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Why? Ubuntu supports Ubuntu. That is the correct thing to do. It would not be free and open source software in the fullest sense if one organization had responsibility and control of all software.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors

    Well, Canonical supports Ubuntu, Ubuntu doesn't support Ubuntu, officially. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ubuntu doesn't support any of the recognized flavors of Ubuntu directly. How would this be any different?

    And, even if Canonical did publish all of the flavors of Ubuntu in-house, a monopoly over alternate desktop environment releases doesn't effect it's standing as free or open-source software. You still didn't pay, and the source is still available. Indicating Canonical as having control over all the software would reference them taking over the Mate DE.

    Just because you imagine a walled garden doesn't mean one exists.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    8,039
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFlavors

    Well, Canonical supports Ubuntu, Ubuntu doesn't support Ubuntu, officially. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ubuntu doesn't support any of the recognized flavors of Ubuntu directly. How would this be any different?

    And, even if Canonical did publish all of the flavors of Ubuntu in-house, a monopoly over alternate desktop environment releases doesn't effect it's standing as free or open-source software. You still didn't pay, and the source is still available. Indicating Canonical as having control over all the software would reference them taking over the Mate DE.

    Just because you imagine a walled garden doesn't mean one exists.
    Ubuntu is a distro. It is not a support organization.

    What exactly is to be done with this MATE?

    Do you want an official flavor?

    Where is the manpower for this to come from?

    I suggest you get involved, at whatever level you're comfortable at, with any existing flavor to acquaint yourself with the process. Perhaps then you may do a rethink about the demands raised about wanting this or that "official" flavor and how much effort goes into creating a flavor.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Beans
    69
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Mate Desktop

    This is exactly why I stay on Discourse and refrain from forum posts. As soon as an individual logs into these boards absolutely any statement is blown completely out of proportion. Someone else brought up the idea of an official Mate distro, and all I did was second that sentiment with an, "There ought to be! and I get attacked by the following two posters!

    I mean, did you even read the response you quoted?

    Well, Canonical supports Ubuntu, Ubuntu doesn't support Ubuntu, officially. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Ubuntu doesn't support any of the recognized flavors of Ubuntu directly. How would this be any different?
    Now, you are absolutely nobody of authority on these forums to me, so please rethink coming into a thread and jumping into a discussion and typing nothing but a spew of condescending text and demand that I explain myself and justify the fact that I stated an official flavor would be nice. That kind of behavior is exactly what promotes this place being an cesspool of guys worried about their ePeen and their Ubuntusmarts.

    I didn't ask for your suggestion, and I don't need them. I contribute to MANY FOSS projects, and many of them benefit Ubuntu and the Ubuntu userbase directly. And as a contributor of the wider community, should I drop all of my current projects to work on an Ubuntu flavor that doesn't exist yet? And to desire a native Ubuntu experience with Mate, I have to be a developer? Are you kidding me?

    Your post was nothing but confrontational. And I don't understand that. Anything you just said to me is enough to make me not even want to visit these forums again, let alone contribute to a community full of people like you. Thankfully, the entire Ubuntu community isn't as rancid and bitter as you are, but, trust me, you aren't the direction the community needs to be headed.

    There's been a huge conversation going on Google+ with over 200 comments about a Mate flavor. I merely voiced my opinion on the subject here. And, being involved directly in many, many projects, I understand the complexity of the task.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    /Europe/Netherlands
    Beans
    401
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    There are repositories for MATE on ubuntu
    http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#ubuntu

    otherwise mint is an ubuntu derivative with a MATE edition.
    Yeah, installing MATE on Ubuntu is not so hard, similar to Debian's installation procedure for MATE. However I find it hard to make MATE look good on Ubuntu.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    WI USA
    Beans
    11,182
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Mate Desktop

    Please stay focused on the original posters question and supply any solid information that is relevant to that question.

    Hi all,

    I found a desktop called Mate which is a Gnome type desktop is it ever going support by Ubuntu? Or is there and I find it.

    Thank
    Jack
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

    Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •