Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a few curiosities regarding Ubuntu and Debian

Beans

I had a few curiosities regarding Ubuntu and Debian

I almost started this post in the "Recurring Discussions" subforum for its nature, but I was wondering about what the main differences between them are.

I haven't used Debian even a single time, but I have read all over the place that the two distros are extremely similar in several areas, especially in the inner workings of it (albeit not exact in either). I was wondering what the main differences were (beyond just the preference of less commercialization).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I had a few curiosities regarding Ubuntu and Debian

Each new version of ubuntu is based on Debian sid as i believe it is called...the development channel of debian....then ubuntu smooths it all out...it is kind of a rather refined version of debian...
    I have worked with direct debian based distros and came to the conclusion that (for me anyway) ubuntu is more my "cup of tea"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu's quicker and easier to install. It has Unity and Debian doesn't. Ubuntu has the PPA system, comes in handy sometimes. Ubuntu has sudo set up by default; with Debian, it's su.

Debian Stable and Ubuntu LTS are both quite nice for long-term usage, both very stable and trouble-free. But probably nothing is as rock-solid as Debian Stable.

Ubuntu also has has the six-month releases, according to schedule. Debian has nothing like that; each Stable release comes out "when it's ready." Debian's "Sid to Testing to Stable" approach results in an excellent final product.

Debian Stable takes a little more work at first, but once it's all set up, you can just forget about it, it's just gonna keep working fine. It's kinda like this: Ubuntu is more user-friendly at the beginning, but Debian Stable is more user-friendly over the long-term. IMHO, that is.

Both are great. I like having Debian Stable as well as Ubuntu LTS installations here, and have done so for several years now. For me, that's a better deal than choosing one or the other.

Beans

Both Debian and Ubuntu are very simular, but different as each one has its own goals and objective.
    Though the old joke about Ubuntu being an african word for I cant install debian is debunked as debian is just as easy to install as Ubuntu these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Ubuntu has sudo set up by default; with Debian, it's su.
    Debian will install with the exact same sudo setup as Ubuntu if you leave the root password blank in the installer
    Cheesemill

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Debian will install with the exact same sudo setup as Ubuntu if you leave the root password blank in the installer
    Didn't know that! I knew that there was a way to do it, but I never looked into it. Anyway, in the typical default set-up, in Debian it's su and in Ubuntu it's sudo. That is, if there is such a thing as a "typical default set-up."

Beans

They both support both versions, though.

Beans

Debian has 3 branches stable,testing, and sid. Packages flow down from sid to eventually form the next stable release. Basically ubuntu takes the most up to date version of debian,freezes it at a point in time, smoothes out the rough edges, adds some customization to make stuff easier ,like front ends for stuff that doesn't normally have front ends ,as well as adding some stuff like device drivers back that debian removes to keep it purely open source. Basically it's a difference in philoshies. Debian's goal is to make stuff as technically sound and bug free as possible while using only open source softare. While ubuntu aims to make a system that is easy to use as possible for a newcomer. Because debian is so technically sound it makes a great base for other distros.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    Or add yourself as a soder after installation. I never use su except to add myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast