Thread: Black Screen on Macbook Pro 6,2 After Installing 12.04LTS - Tried Everything Already

Beans

Black Screen on Macbook Pro 6,2 After Installing 12.04LTS - Tried Everything Already

I am tri-booting Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), Windows 8, and Ubuntu. I installed via a USB drive. The install and the LiveCD trial went flawlessly, and I can boot into GRUB. However, as soon as I press Enter on the installed Ubuntu, it brings me to a black screen. I left it there for about an hour, and it was still black. No words or anything. The video card is an nVidia 330M. I tried 13.04, and that worked, but it wasn't 100% compatible, so I much prefer the LTS. So far, I have tried:

Failsafe Graphics
    Reinstalling
    Putting nomodeset and no splash in GRUB
    The custom Mac LiveCD (wouldn't boot from the USB drive)
    Adjusting my brightness (believe it or not, that's a common solution)
    Switching graphics mode through GRUB (got a garbled mess, but I think Unity was running in there somewhere because my backlit keyboard lit up)
    Entering --quiet splash nomodeset and quiet splash nomodeset (brought me to the splash screen with orange dots, then kicked me back out to a totally black screen)
    Pressing Esc during the splash screen (gave me a bunch of checks, all came back [OK], but kicked me to the black screen again)
    Keep in mind, I'm kind of a beginner. I know much more than the average beginner, but I wouldn't call myself intermediate just yet.

One more thing: the black screen I'm getting is NOT backlit, and there is NO blinking cursor. It looks as if I turned the computer off, but the fans are still running and I think the hard drive is still doing something)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Black Screen on Macbook Pro 6,2 After Installing 12.04LTS - Tried Everything Alre

You might want to look in the Xorg logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) for lines containing "(EE)". They should point to the error(s).
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Re: Black Screen on Macbook Pro 6,2 After Installing 12.04LTS - Tried Everything Alre

Quote Originally Posted by yeats View Post
    You might want to look in the Xorg logs (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) for lines containing "(EE)". They should point to the error(s).
    (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)

I looked up a fix, but how do I apply it via recovery root or LiveUSB? These solutions assume that you can get into Gnome in the first place
    Last edited by jart16; August 1st, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Beans

Could you please post what you did to fix the issue? It's been quite a few months since your post, so I'd imagine that you have gotten this resolved?

Thanks!