Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 Wireless help please.

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 Wireless help please.

I am new to ubuntu and I have a hp pavilion zv6000. I first downloaded ubuntu 12.10 and my wifi was not there so I opened terminal and put in sudo apt-get update and it brought my wifi. The problem is 12.10 was really laggy on my laptop so I downloaded 10.10 because it is faster. The problem is my wifi is gone again and sudo apt-get update is not working. I also cant download additional drivers because I get a message telling me ubuntu 10.10 is no longer supported. Please help me? Is there more info you need? Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 Wireless help please.

Yes, Ubuntu 10.10 reached End of Life a year ago. Ubuntu 11.04 & 11.10 have also reached end of like. You can still try Ubuntu 12.04.2. That has almost 4 years of support still left. You do not tell us about the hardware of your machine. There are factors that affect our user experience, the power of the CPU, the amount of RAM and the power of the graphic adapter and the amount of memory it has. You may need to install Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You shouldn't be using unsupported, i.e., old versions anyway. The reason for 12.10 being slower comparatively to 10.10 has to do with the desktop environment which is much more demanding than the old GNOME before. As such I would strongly recommend you to install the latest version Ubuntu Gnome Edition, Xubuntu or Lubuntu. You'll have support for your WiFi due to newer kernel.

Beans

thanks the only reason I downgraded is I just need the internet nothing big but it took 15 minutes to load. thanks

Beans

thanks the only reason I downgraded is I just need the internet nothing big but it took 15 minutes to load. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, I recommend that you reformat your drive and install 12.04.2 LTS or 13.04, 12.04.2 is the most stable, then post back if you still need help with wireless.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

As you know Ubuntu 10.10 isn't supported. If Ubuntu 12.10 was laggy you could try something lighter; such as, Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

10.10 reached end-of-life long ago. The oldest supported desktop release is 12.04, which is an LTS release and would last you until 2017, so you'll want to move to that release at least before anyone here can support you.
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

You can try Ubuntu 12.04, it is probably the most stable version right now. If 12.04 lags, then you can try Xubuntu (12.04 or 12.10 or 13.04).

Beans
    Hidden!

Four threads merged. Do not post the same question in multiple forums. It dilutes the community effort.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast