Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [12.04] Cannot Boot - error: no such device: 25c692af-d8f7-4f25-9083-df10a689f1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [12.04] Cannot Boot - error: no such device: 25c692af-d8f7-4f25-9083-df10a689f1

The BootInfo summary is linked here for your perusal.

I selected the Repair option, and (after unmounting all of the previously mounted drives), the process completed itself in a few minutes. I now recieved the following message:

Boot successfully repaired.

A new file (~Boot-info_2013-07-31_13h36.txt) will open in the text viewer.

In case you still experience boot problem, indicate its content to: boot.repair@gmail.com

You can now reboot your computer.
    Please do not forget to met your BIOS boot on sdb (500GB) disk!

A broken Wubi has been detected. Please fix it this way:
    http://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Can...ot_into_Ubuntu
    I'm rebooting now.

I previous did have a Wubi installation on the drive which now has Ubuntu on it, but I formatted it clean. Any idea what might have caused that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [12.04] Cannot Boot - error: no such device: 25c692af-d8f7-4f25-9083-df10a689f1

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I wonder what's inside fstab. After you run boot-repair, we can get a look-see from your paste bin output.
    The grub.cfg shows the second hard drive only.
    Here is the latest boot-repair summary, as you asked. There are 39 instances of fstab in this document: hold onto your butts!
    Last edited by UncleAsriel; August 1st, 2013 at 02:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Maybe Wubi was the culprit all along. Is it now fixed? When it is please mark the topic as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I no longer receive the error: no such device.

However, the screen first loaded with a "input signal out of range" error from the monitor - no input was sent to the screen from the computer. There was no GRUB menu.

After 20 seconds, though, Ubuntu booted. I am attempting my standard procedure of removing the "terminal_outputgfxterm" code block from grub.cfg, and then installing the wireless update.

After editing the grub.cfg, reinstalling the wireless update, I am able to reconnect to the internet, and install software as necessary. I will treat this case as closed until further notice.

Thank you, everyone! I hope my bug-hunting has been able to help the devs as much as you've helped me!
    Last edited by UncleAsriel; August 1st, 2013 at 04:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If not using wubi or have any data in it you want save that and then delete it. You should be able to remove as a Windows program from Windows and then use bcdEdit to remove boot entry.
    If you need to manually remove:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

You have grub installed to both drive's MBR. I prefer to have grub just installed to the MBR of the UBuntu drive and the Windows boot loader installed to the MBR of the Windows drive. Then each drive can boot on its own. You should be able to check advanced options in Boot-Repair, use Windows or manually install a Windows type boot loader to the MBR of the Windows drive.

Restore basic windows boot loader - universe enabled if error on lilo not found
    Simply open Synaptic and Settings > Repositories and tick the box against the Universe repo in the Ubuntu Software tab. Close that window and click on reload before installing lilo with Synaptic or command line.
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    May show error messages about the rest of lilo missing, ignore, we just want MBR with bootloader to boot partition with boot flag (Windows).

Since you have grub installed to several places you need to make sure it will reinstall to sdb on a major update as it will only update one place automatically.

#To see what drive grub2 uses see this line - grub-pc/install_devices:
    sudo debconf-show grub-pc
    sudo grub-probe -t device /boot/grub

#to get grub2 to remember where to reinstall on updates:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    #Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12