Thread: Precise daily now has Raring kernel and X stack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Precise daily now has Raring kernel and X stack

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'd only tried it on my Intel box

Maybe the X-stack is not yet complete.
    On my Intel machine I am getting the same as ATi...an opening screen with top bars and an IBus message .."super + Space is now the default Hotkey" and then it goes to Ubiquity.

Here is Intel and ATi (Radeon) towers .. same image.. saucy-desktop-i386 today's daily current:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

@kansasnoob

I just noticed that this is Precise update Raring kernel topic forum ... boy oh boy .. I got too much saucy on my mind lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    @kansasnoob

I just noticed that this is Precise update Raring kernel topic forum ... boy oh boy .. I got too much saucy on my mind lol
    Come on man.. you scared me..

Precise daily it's working very good. Stable and Fast.

Again : Thank @kasanoob for the update.

Question: When the stable version released (22th August), If I would not reinstall but stick with this daily iso instead , do I miss something ? any side effects ?

Thanks
    Last edited by NikTh; August 1st, 2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Improve english

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post

Question: When the stable version released (22th August), If I'm not re-install and stick with this daily iso, do I miss something ? any side effects ?

Thanks
    Ok.. I zsynced it and it *is* really fast.. it is faster on my USB 3.0 than the hardrive.!! Who needs hdds anymore jk lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post

Question: When the stable version released (22th August), If I would not reinstall but stick with this daily iso instead , do I miss something ? any side effects ?

Thanks
    Hmmm, that's not something I can answer with a simple yes or no. As you mentioned here Precise LTS dev and maintenance releases handle proposed updates different than later dev releases. I can't quite remember if that changed in Quantal or Raring?

So, to be safe, I'd say an LTS maintenance release should be installed post-release if it's going to be used on a production machine or any machine where security is a huge issue. In my case I test these maintenance releases to check for problems that may have been created while upgrading the kernel and X-stack (also patches to grub-pc).

Ultimately the past few dev cycles have introduced a great number of changes and it requires some serious thought to put all of the changes into context. Most recently the support cycle for "normal/interim" releases dropped from 18 months to 9 months, but before that the LTS desktop support increased to 5 years.

That LTS support change included upgrading the kernel and X-stack along with any needed patches for grub-pc to support newer hardware. Of course the LTS will typically still have the older and more stable versions of apps unless some dev or maintainer went through the difficult exception process.

Have I totally confused you yet?
    Last edited by kansasnoob; August 2nd, 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Hmmm, that's not something I can't answer with a simple yes or no. As you mentioned here Precise LTS dev and maintenance releases handle proposed updates different than later dev releases. I can't quite remember if that changed in Quantal or Raring?

So, to be safe, I'd say an LTS maintenance release should be installed post-release if it's going to be used on a production machine or any machine where security is a huge issue. In my case I test these maintenance releases to check for problems that may have been created while upgrading the kernel and X-stack (also patches to grub-pc).

Ultimately the past few dev cycles have introduced a great number of changes and it requires some serious thought to put all of the changes into context. Most recently the support cycle for "normal/interim" releases dropped from 18 months to 9 months, but before that the LTS desktop support increased to 5 years.

That LTS support change included upgrading the kernel and X-stack along with any needed patches for grub-pc to support newer hardware. Of course the LTS will typically still have the older and more stable versions of apps unless some dev or maintainer went through the difficult exception process.

Have I totally confused you yet?
    Completely

So, If I want to be sure that I have a stable LTS release, I have to reinstall in 22th August, regardless if the daily iso seems stable and without problems. When I installed it, I disabled the proposed repositories, before upgrade the system and during installation I didn't tick the box of "installing updates during install.." . But I think it would be more safe to reinstall when the stable release comes out on 22th August. We will see until then

EDIT:
    And for the first time after almost 2 years, Fn+F4 works !!! (suspend). This kernel is good !
    Last edited by NikTh; August 2nd, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: EDIT:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12