Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If only...

Beans

Re: If only...

Quote Originally Posted by yozef View Post
    I read an article, about a study of how you can optimize your Macbook by utilizing Yellow Dog Linux.
    Given that the MacBook uses Intel gear, if I got tired of OS X I'd just grab a Dapper ISO and install Ubuntu. Yellow Dog, tired jokes aside, is for PPC gear.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot View Post
    You're definitely not the average Joe, aren't you?
    I don't think I ever claimed to be. I don't represent anybody but myself and the voices in my head.

Beans

can you let us know more about the voice in your head?

Beans

can you let us know more about the voice in your head?
    Which one? I've got a friggin' pantheon in here; we are legion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I'm sure if large stores like Best Buy and Circuit City started selling PCs with Linux preinstalled (with codecs and such in there, but I don't know about the legal end of that, but you get my point), and home users bought them, Linux would gain a significant market share. I don't think a majority conversion is very probable in the next 1 to 2 years, though.
    Get Exaile, a GTK+ alternative to amarok!
    It's great. I love it! Want to know more? Here's the Exaile Topic

Beans

Arrow Re: If only...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold P View Post
    I'm sure if large stores like Best Buy and Circuit City started selling PCs with Linux preinstalled (with codecs and such in there, but I don't know about the legal end of that, but you get my point), and home users bought them, Linux would gain a significant market share. I don't think a majority conversion is very probable in the next 1 to 2 years, though.
    I recently went into a CompUSA store, for convience. My wife wanted a ultralite notebook, since they sold both Macs and PCs...I thought they may be able to sale a linux notebook.

I first told the salesman I had a budget of $4000 to spend on a ultralight notebook, but I had one important specification it had to come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.

He proceed to tell me the benifits of Windows, I told him that it must come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux, but to have a good day.

I then proceeded to leave but stopped at the customer service desk. I asked for the manager on duty. He came and I told him the same specifications, I had a $4000 budget for a ultralight notebook for my wife but that she insist that it come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.

He happily reassured me that they had what I needed and asked me to follow him to his computer lab to speak with his lead "tech".

I thought for a second now I am getting somewhere.

I again gave the lead "Tech" my specifications, $4000 budget for an ultralight notebook that must come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux as it's operating system.

he stated that they were not "Linux Certified" and therefore couldn't help me.

My wife and I eventually purchased a Fujitsu convertible (notebook/tablet) directly over the phone from Fujitsu, custom built which will take about 3 weeks to come in.

I will load Ubuntu on it myself when it comes in.

To see the notebook/tablet my wife bought refer to the thread link below:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213899
    Last edited by RAV TUX; July 16th, 2006 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm with you, Stormy Eyes. I don't believe all these "if only Linux..." people would actually migrate over if Linux did have whatever feature or killer app they wanted. I believe they'd come up with other excuses.

And the floodgates don't come with a killer app. They come with preinstallation. I'm tired. I'm tired of arguing about whether Linux is "ready" or "not ready."

I've written enough essays to refute the FUD. If people want links, I'll link to them, but I think my energy would be better spent trying to help new users who need help, not help trolls who whine and complain.

Beans

Arrow Re: If only...

I recently went into a CompUSA store, for convience. My wife wanted a ultralite notebook, since they sold both Macs and PCs...I thought they may be able to sale a linux notebook.

I first told the salesman I had a budget of $4000 to spend on a ultralight notebook, but I had one important specification it had to come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.

He proceed to tell me the benifits of Windows, I told him that it must come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux, but to have a good day.

I then proceeded to leave but stopped at the customer service desk. I asked for the manager on duty. He came and I told him the same specifications, I had a $4000 budget for a ultralight notebook for my wife but that she insist that it come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux.

He happily reassured me that they had what I needed and asked me to follow him to his computer lab to speak with his lead "tech".

I thought for a second now I am getting somewhere.

I again gave the lead "Tech" my specifications, $4000 budget for an ultralight notebook that must come preloaded with Ubuntu Linux as it's operating system.

he stated that they were not "Linux Certified" and therefore couldn't help me.

My wife and I eventually purchased a Fujitsu convertible (notebook/tablet) directly over the phone from Fujitsu, custom built which will take about 3 weeks to come in.

I will load Ubuntu on it myself when it comes in.

To see the notebook/tablet my wife bought refer to the thread link below:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213899
    I should say that I find this to be the main reason bug #1 will prevail...not because of some killer apt, etc. etc.

distribution to the masses has more to do with big business pushing thier OS to the computer companies and the retailers.

honestly I don't think it's important to be the leading OS on the planet.

Quality is better then quantity...just build an outstanding distro and always improve upon it and back it up with an awesome and helpful community.

This is what you have with Ubuntu. While still a bit rough around the edges it is nice to be apart of this awesome, beautiful and exciting community.

The reality is now and the time is ours, others may come and go but here I have found a worthy solution for my OS needs and this without a doubt is Ubuntu and other distros which I enjoy like dyne:bolic.

I am glad to be here and I am glad to know everyone here.

I thank all of you who are helpful and entertaining, I call ubuntuforums home.

Jozef

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy Eyes View Post
    I'm supposed to have a point when I'm drunk? Seriously: I'm just tired of all the people speculating on what Linux "needs" to "be ready for the desktop".
    Stormy, you in the US?
    If so then your getting drunk pretty early in the day.

However, as I am getting drunk right now, I can say from one drunk to another, I agree with you. People need to stop complaining and "love it or leave it". I'm kinda kidding here...
    I don't foresee an overnight mass adoption of linux because this or that gets changed. Adoption will take time and arises from the dedication of users who dig in there heals and grind through the bugs and problems.
    Registered linux user 394273

Beans

I don't know why you would think CompUSA would have preloaded Ubuntu laptops.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast