Thread: Battery problem on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Battery problem on Ubuntu 12.04

Hello,

Since a while, I noticed my laptop has a kind of problem with the battery consumption.
    When the battery is fully charged, the laptop goes on normally and then, after a certain time (depending on what I'm running, a video, a game, etc...), when the battery notifier arrives approximately to 1:20 of energy left, my computer goes immediately off without any warning. It doesn't display any logout logo at all, it just turns black, and I have to plug it with the charger or it won't reboot correctly.

How is this possible ? Is there a problem with the battery itself or can I fix this directly with some command ?

Also, I'm a complete newbie so if I forgot to mention something important, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Battery problem on Ubuntu 12.04

I had the same trouble with my phone - it would shut down at 25%. The "Reset battery estimates" function didn't help. I bought a new battery and now the phone battery lasts until 1%.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I had the same trouble with my phone - it would shut down at 25%. The "Reset battery estimates" function didn't help. I bought a new battery and now the phone battery lasts until 1%.
    So... I should change my laptop battery ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by John_Gone View Post
    Is there a problem with the battery itself or can I fix this directly with some command ?
    Sounds like your battery is toast.

Usually through the cycles of charge and discharge, battery time decreases. You use to get 2 hours on battery, now you only get 1 hour, and so on.

If your battery is showing a set time left before charge - but then suddenly no power and system goes off - probably damaged cells in the battery.

Sorry to say, probably time for a new battery - or run plugged in

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
    Sounds like your battery is toast.

Usually through the cycles of charge and discharge, battery time decreases. You use to get 2 hours on battery, now you only get 1 hour, and so on.

If your battery is showing a set time left before charge - but then suddenly no power and system goes off - probably damaged cells in the battery.

Sorry to say, probably time for a new battery - or run plugged in
    Well, I think I'm going to buy a new battery then!

Thank you all for replying!