Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS without Unity : will it be faster with traditional GNOME desktop?

Beans

12.04 LTS without Unity : will it be faster with traditional GNOME desktop?

If I switch from the Unity UI to a traditional GNOME desktop, will it be faster?
    (ref. this article: http://deviceguru.com/ubuntu-11-10-without-shell-shock/)
    Specks of my PC are: P4, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD.

Thanks,

Vineet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 12.04 LTS without Unity : will it be faster with traditional GNOME desktop?

Yes, it will be faster. For the "traditional" Gnome desktop, install gnome-session-fallback to get the classic Ubuntu desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

since gnome-session-fallback installs also gnome-shell, you might prefer to install gnome-panel, that only has the gnome 2 classic desktop.
    And if you wish an even more faster desktop environment, you may choose "gnome classic (no effects)" at the login.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

No it dosen't. gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback are entirely separate enviroments in Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier. You can install one without the other.

Beans

Thanks for your replies.
    Let me try it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kitsuneinari78 View Post
    No it dosen't. gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback are entirely separate enviroments in Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier. You can install one without the other.
    as far as I have been able to experiment, every time I have installed gnome-session-fallback there was available also gnome-shell as desktop environment.
    Perhaps I have made something wrong, but is it wrong running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Beans

I made some notes about using the classic (no effects) DE here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by alan9800 View Post
    as far as I have been able to experiment, every time I have installed gnome-session-fallback there was available also gnome-shell as desktop environment.
    Perhaps I have made something wrong, but is it wrong running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    If you add the --no-install-recommends flag to your command, then only GNOME Classic will be installed. I believe the name of the flag is self-explanatory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by d-vineet View Post
    If I switch from the Unity UI to a traditional GNOME desktop, will it be faster?
    Another thought...

I have Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS on a Toshiba Satellite c655-s5503, I noticed some sluggish response in Dash and Firefox.
    In System Settings > Privacy > Application tab, I add Firefox Web Browser - Do Not Log Activity.

Dash is now responsive and it sped up Firefox. Overall, my system seems smooth and responsive by adjusting NO Indexing of Firefox. I like the search function of Dash with my local system - just seemed redundant to include Firefox in Dash, as Firefox has a history function for searching data. That is to say, I can do data search within the application of Firefox - no need to duplicate that function in Dash, and slow my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might find that Xubuntu or Lubuntu perform much better on your computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast