Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 LTS without Unity : will it be faster with traditional GNOME desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 LTS without Unity : will it be faster with traditional GNOME desktop?

@Gordintoronto.

He probably would have better results with Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but the lack of that Long term Support is probably why he just wants a different DE. (Which is understandable, most do not like changing their OS often, or even upgrading often, because it can be buggy.)

@Original poster.

It should be over all faster, boot times will still be the same from my understanding. But when in use, it can effect performance. Because you only use the session you choose. If I use my LXDE session, that is what it is doing, if I use XFCE, that is what it is is using. You can install any DE basically you want, but it is pretty hard to remove them from my understanding, and it can bloat it and give you dupes of packages. So go ahead and try another DE, and if you are good at working with the command line, use a minimal install and work your way up to make an Ubuntu for you, light weight, with LTS.

Beans

Unity and Gnome-shell are both resource demanding. I wouldn't use them on an older and weaker machine.

Gnome-fallback (or Gnome-classic) is fast but it is not fully supported anymore and it suffers from massive feature regression compared to Gnome 2. If it works for you, that's great. If you find it lacking, you can try XFCE4 or LXDE, those should run fine on your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    If you add the --no-install-recommends flag to your command, then only GNOME Classic will be installed. I believe the name of the flag is self-explanatory.
    thank you very much for this explanation; each guide I've read didn't specify to use that flag for installing only gnome-session-fallback.
    Only one more question:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-session-fallback
    is the same as
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    or not?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Install xfce4, log out, choose 'xfce session' from the session menu, login and watch it fly.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    You might find that Xubuntu or Lubuntu perform much better on your computer.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by RadicaX View Post
    @Gordintoronto.

He probably would have better results with Xubuntu or Lubuntu, but the lack of that Long term Support is probably why he just wants a different DE.
    Except that Xubuntu does have an LTS version, currently 12.04.

On another note, I find working with menus faster than search, unless I know the name of what I'm looking for.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Install xfce4, log out, choose 'xfce session' from the session menu, login and watch it fly.
    That's what I've done and it seems to work okay, there don't seem to be issues with more than one D.E. installed. Is this a way to get LT support and and Xfce desktop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The OS has the LTS support, not the desktop environment, if you know what I mean. A Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel is underneath all of them. If you have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS that's what you have. That you might be using xfce4 as your desktop environment doesn't change that fact. The 12.04 LTS kernel will be supported until 2017.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    The OS has the LTS support, not the desktop environment, if you know what I mean. A Ubuntu 12.04 LTS kernel is underneath all of them. If you have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS that's what you have. That you might be using xfce4 as your desktop environment doesn't change that fact. The 12.04 LTS kernel will be supported until 2017.
    Indeed, this is so. Something that does not make sense to me though, is why something like Lubuntu is not LTS then, is it for a lack of wanting to update the packages in it? Because the kernel period will be updated. Either way, pick a buntu you like and start smacking it with any de you want. If you are really worried about speed and such. just pick a Windows Manager set up like open box or something. Not as full featured as say Gnome, but it is super lightweight. I have only a gig of ram, and a slow 1.6 ghz dual processor, I have no trouble running Xubuntu. Everything is pretty snappy. I used Ubuntu 11.10 before this, and it was also plenty fast, some of the programs were a bit slower, but honestly, not much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12