Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviving what should be left dead.

Beans

Reviving what should be left dead.

I just got a new windows 8 laptop so I gave my dad my older desktop that I built from scratch. It was no speed demon running a dual core celeron e1200 1gb of ram and a nvidia gt430. It is currently running windows 7 fine. I am now trying to revive my dads old piece of junk. It has 1gb of, i believe, ddr1 ram, a 2.3Ghz processor and a pci, not pcie, gt 520. I don't want or need it to roar and blast through 1080 content or play games. I only want to browse the web with no lag and to watch SD video online on crunchyroll. Lubuntu was actually a little too and I mean a little too heavy. Video lagged ever so slightly. Still noticeable though. I have not tried puppy linux but I am not partial for it. I have tried it before. It is a little lacking in support and a little complicated for simple manners such as drivers. As a last resort it doable but not a first choice. I am downloading joli OS to attempt that as a solution. Does anyone know anything that would work?

Beans

Re: Reviving what should be left dead.

You could try ArchLinux or a derivative with just an window manager like openbox. Runs pretty well on my Raspberry Pi which has less in it than that computer does.

Beans

"slow" is subjective, but you should get reasonable performance out of that hardware. There are tons of lightweight distros out there, but the question is how bare-bones do you want to go to get a little more performance?

Web browsing isn't the simple task it was ten years ago; all the javascript & css animations, flash, and hi-res images are pretty taxing on an older system, especially if you don't have a good video driver available. You can get a lighter environment and maybe save a few MB of system RAM and a few CPU cycles, but if web and video is laggy I suspect your bottleneck is with GPU support. What driver were you using with the gt 520?

Beans

well like I mentioned I am not super high on the idea of barebones precisely because support for things like video drivers is lacking.when I installed ubuntu on it it had a hard time until I installed the "Current" Nvidia driver but it was still a little laggy on the video side. Lubuntu was ok from the start but is laggy ever so slightly. For Lubuntu I am not sure what the driver is but I got it from the propriatery extra drivers. Lubuntu like is really my limit on barebones.

Beans

Try install Ubuntu and then installing a lighter weight DE. There are many to choose from. I would suggest Fluxbox, but that is my own opinion. With the stats you quoted though Xubuntu should be ok.

Beans

I dont think a ubuntu derivative will work. I even tried lubuntu the lightest one and it still lagged. Although like
    lykwydchykyn mentioned it could very weill be a driver issse. If anyone knows the proper driver for this card under lubuntu and or ubuntu that may help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dark ariel7 View Post
    I dont think a ubuntu derivative will work. I even tried lubuntu the lightest one and it still lagged. Although like
    lykwydchykyn mentioned it could very weill be a driver issse. If anyone knows the proper driver for this card under lubuntu and or ubuntu that may help.
    There's really only two options; the built-in open source driver (nouveau) or the proprietary Nvidia driver. There's no guarantee that an older card is going to be well-supported by either of those.

It might be worth trying some completely non-Ubuntu, non-Debian distro just to see if your hardware is happier with it. Distros do tend to patch up X11 and mesa in small-but-possibly-significant different ways, so maybe a Fedora, OpenSuse, SlackWare, or (as already suggested) Arch Linux would perform differently.

Of course, before you do that, it might be worth watching the output of "top" or "htop" while you play back a video just to see if there's a clear bottleneck in the system resources.

Beans

"Of course, before you do that, it might be worth watching the output of "top" or "htop" while you play back a video just to see if there's a clear bottleneck in the system resources"
    I have no idea what that means. I will however most definitely try a non ubuntu os.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

antiX is pretty lightweight.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on an old PIII 933MHz, 512MB RAM with nVidia GeForce 2 and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS on AMD Duron 900MHz, 768MB RAM with onboard S3 Twister, for old 2000 era hardware they seem to run pretty bug free right out of the box.

Only Ubuntu I could get running right on the AMD w/onboard S3 Twister was the Xubuntu LTS. Zorin OS lite, antiX and Crunchbang were also fast and light as were all the Puppy distro's including Simplicity.

What I could do with your "old piece of junk". If nothing else get a new card.

Beans

Is the pci gt 520 really not good enough for flash video anymore? Really I am only hoping for 360p or 480p payback.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast