Thread: Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

Beans

Red face Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

My DELL laptop having 500 GB hard-disk, I plan to install dual OS in it, So I re-size the disk using Gparted and my primary OS is Ubuntu 12.10. While resizing my disk, its displays an error only four primary partition u can partition size. Please find the below for screen shot of my partition details.

In additionally one partition with 8GB of Linux swap is already i deleted accidentally so the disk is now possibly to re-sized for creating a sda4 for another OS. Now when i boot my primary OS UBUNTU i am facing a small error that "Uaaa-ssdds-------" is missing wait for mounting automatically or S for Skip or M for manually mounting.

How to solve this problem I i need to recreate a Linux Swap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

How much ram does your computer have? If it's 4GB or more, swap is meaningless as there is enough ram to run Linux with no problems. If so, just push s to skip mounting swap. BUT... If you have less than 4GB, tell us here and we can try to remedy the situation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why didn't create an extended partition for Linux, Swap?

You could create an extended partition at the end (7.4gb),and put a swap partition inside there.

Here's a picture of mine as an example. I have Windows 7, an NTFS partition, several Ext4's and a Swap inside the Extended partition:

Last edited by VMC; July 31st, 2013 at 02:47 AM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by kitsuneinari78 View Post
    How much ram does your computer have? If it's 4GB or more, swap is meaningless as there is enough ram to run Linux with no problems. If so, just push s to skip mounting swap. BUT... If you have less than 4GB, tell us here and we can try to remedy the situation.
    I am using 4GB RAM, But I need the solution for this, my friend also having same ubuntu but differ in RAM, Please suggest so that I can help him.

Beans

I think that you don't need more than 4 Gb RAM. Don't worry about your swap partition deleted. For your friend, the same thing. If he has less than 4GB you should create a partition swap.

PS: I'm french so my English is a little bit.... catastrophical

Beans

Create an extended partition with the free space at the end of your disk, and then you can make a swap partition.
    Your friend can make an extended partition too..

Beans

Red face Re: Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by frankblero View Post
    I think that you don't need more than 4 Gb RAM. Don't worry about your swap partition deleted. For your friend, the same thing. If he has less than 4GB you should create a partition swap.

PS: I'm french so my English is a little bit.... catastrophical
    Thanks friend

Beans

Red face Re: Linux Swap is really needed? Accidentally Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Create an extended partition with the free space at the end of your disk, and then you can make a swap partition.
    Your friend can make an extended partition too..
    As u said I recommend my friend to create extended partition.
    Thanks for your help