Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop ubuntu overheating

Beans

laptop ubuntu overheating

My laptop has been overheating lately like no other. Sensors are at like 150 F. I'm used to my HP Pavilion having heating issues. Sometimes I restart my laptop and whatever process that was causing it to overheat disappears. Now it begins to overheat right as I start my laptop up. The only changes recently that I've made are switching to firefox and using a Vizio external display. Not sure if any of those two factors would require much resoruces tough as opposed to a single laptop screen and google chrome. Monitor is http://store.vizio.com/e221a1.html
    Last edited by YWCyeXG; July 31st, 2013 at 01:52 AM.

Beans

Re: laptop ubuntu overheating

post edited
    Last edited by YWCyeXG; July 31st, 2013 at 01:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It's probably an issue with your graphics cards.

I wrote a tutorial for this after I had an overheating problem with my HP Pavilion DV6 3122-sa. You can find it here:

http://www.samhobbs.co.uk/2013/09/ub...-amd-graphics/

It may be useful to you if you have an AMD processor and AMD/ATI graphics card.

If you can post your laptop's specs we can probably help narrow things down - the tutorial may not be relevant to you if you have certain hardware.

Feathers

I have the HP pavilion g7-1070us. apparently the graphics card is the chipset variety "Intel HD Graphics" I guess this doesn't apply to your post. Thanks though

Beans
    Distro

Yep you're right, my post was written with something else in mind.

I found the specs for your laptop here, have included them in case they're useful for anyone else coming to the thread.

Looks like you have integrated Intel graphics (as you said) and no discrete graphics card. I've installed Kubuntu on about 5 laptops with similar specs and haven't had any problems so far!

To be honest, 150*F isn't all that hot (about 65*C). Not ideal, and you should keep an eye on it, but only start worrying when it reaches 75*C-80*C.

In the meantime, you may notice some improvement if you clean the laptop of dust using a can of compressed air. The cans are really cheap , and doing this is another thing that took my temperature down by 20*C.

If you choose to try this, angle the can up into the laptop instead of down, the air that comes out will be much drier.

Feathers

unfortunately I tried this by opening up the laptop itself. the fan itself was pretty clean. i couldn't take the entire mobo out though so there could have been a component to the CPU that was attracting dust.

Beans
    Distro

That's strange.

You mentioned sensors were at 150F, which sensors were they?

Feathers

Not sure honestly. These sensors were part of a default Kubuntu applet. Is there a way to tell?

Beans
    Distro

Try installing psensor?

Hey! Sorry for not responding in awhile. I've been away from home and not able to tend to my laptop. I installed psensor and attached the values shown with it. Seems pretty high. Or is it??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast