Thread: permanently reduce mouse pointer speed

Beans

permanently reduce mouse pointer speed

I have a mouse that works fine under Windows, but under Ubuntu it flies like crazy and I have a hard time controlling it. So I googled how to slow down mouse pointer in Ubuntu and found this code

xinput --set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.5

where "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" is name of the mouse and 1.5 is value of deceleration.

And it works fine until I restart the system and the mouse is back at its original speed. Is there a way to permanently change mouse speed so I don't have to type the code over and over again? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: permanently reduce mouse pointer speed

Quote Originally Posted by macakcira View Post
    I have a mouse that works fine under Windows, but under Ubuntu it flies like crazy and I have a hard time controlling it. So I googled how to slow down mouse pointer in Ubuntu and found this code

xinput --set-prop "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.5

where "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" is name of the mouse and 1.5 is value of deceleration.

And it works fine until I restart the system and the mouse is back at its original speed. Is there a way to permanently change mouse speed so I don't have to type the code over and over again? Thanks!
    Top right on desktop. Click the gear and choose system settings then Mouse.

Beans

Re: permanently reduce mouse pointer speed

Hey thanks for pointing me to that system settings I didn't know existed (new with Linux). I tried it and while it does slow down my cursor, it doesn't slow it enough, even if I put it to the minimum (you probably now get the point how fast it is). Maybe if I can somehow increase the range of how much it slows down the cursor or something.

Btw, I found this solution, but I don't have xorg.conf file in X11 folder...

To make the config persistent (and make it system wide), you will need to edit your xorg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf).
    Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Razer" # Whatever you want.
    MatchProduct "Razer Razer DeathAdder" # Product name from xinput list.
    Option "ConstantDeceleration" "3" # The same value as xinput.
    EndSection
    Once you reboot, you should have the same result as the xinput command.