Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is anyone using XRDP successfully from a Win8 RDP client?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Is anyone using XRDP successfully from a Win8 RDP client?

Whilst I'm managing to connect successfully to my box (64-bit 13.04 server + KDE) using RDP and have no problems seeing the screen, or accessing the menus, I can't to be able to control the contents of any applications I open.

For example, I was trying to run the Muon Package Manager earlier, and whilst it opened without issue, every time I mouse over the window that opened, the cursor remained as the double-arrowhead icon that's normally used for resizing a window. Nothing I tried would allow me to select any of the buttons or fields within the Muon window, though I can obviously resize it.

At the moment, that makes the use of RDP pretty much redundant for me. I've had something of a search around, but I can't see similar issues being reported, or at least not that I can readily identify, nor does anything at xrdp.org help.
    I'm open to any suggestions or alternatives.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is anyone using XRDP successfully from a Win8 RDP client?

FreeNX server and any nx-client. There's a FreeNX how-to guide for Ubuntu - google finds it easily. NX works over SSH, so you'll need to run an ssh server on the remote machine - even inside your own LAN. This also means that NX is secure from anywhere in the world. Thankfully, NX is much more efficient than RDP or VNC protocols, so using it from anywhere is not usually an unpleasant experience.

Beans
    Distro

OK. Thanks for that. I'll take a look later on.

lah7 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've just tested this by connecting to my Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop using the Remote Desktop Client on Windows 8.1 (Beta) and I have no issues.

Using "vnc-any" to connect to 'localhost' to give me the Unity desktop as it is to the physically logged in user, interacts with no problems. I also tried the "sesman-Xvnc" module to start a concurrent session, which uses the GNOME Classic environment ("gnome-session-fallback") and again, there are no problems with controlling my apps.

Does this happen with any RDP clients (try your distribution's built in one) or just from the Windows 8 system? Also, which desktop environment does XRDP use?

Beans
    Distro

Well yesterday kind of got wiped out and I didn't manage to get too much done on there at all. However, by way of an update

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    FreeNX server and any nx-client. There's a FreeNX how-to guide for Ubuntu - google finds it easily. NX works over SSH, so you'll need to run an ssh server on the remote machine - even inside your own LAN. This also means that NX is secure from anywhere in the world. Thankfully, NX is much more efficient than RDP or VNC protocols, so using it from anywhere is not usually an unpleasant experience.
    I've installed both SSH and FreeNx on the Ubuntu server, and the NoMachines NX client 3.5.0-9 on my Win8 PC. Everything looks to have installed correctly, but when I try to connect, the NX client runs through its connection sequence, shows a black full screen window for perhaps 5 seconds, then shuts itself down again. Looking at the log file reads as follows:

Info: Display running with pid '9024' and handler '0xe08f8'.
    NXPROXY - Version 3.5.0
    Copyright (C) 2001, 2011 NoMachine.
    See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.
    Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '5376'.
    Session: Starting session at 'Thu Aug 1 18:35:04 2013'.
    Info: Connection with remote proxy completed.
    Info: Using LAN link parameters 1536/24/1/0.
    Info: Using pack method 'adaptive-9' with session 'kde'.
    Info: Not using NX delta compression.
    Info: Not using ZLIB data compression.
    Info: Not using ZLIB stream compression.
    Info: Not using a persistent cache.
    Info: Forwarding X11 connections to display ':0'.
    Info: Listening to font server connections on port '12000'.
    Session: Session started at 'Thu Aug 1 18:35:04 2013'.
    Info: Established X server connection.
    Info: Using shared memory parameters 0/0K.
    Session: Terminating session at 'Thu Aug 1 18:35:11 2013'.
    Session: Session terminated at 'Thu Aug 1 18:35:11 2013'.
    I've checked that the freenx-server is running, and it says that it is. The NX client gives every appearance of trying to connect then, but looks to be being refused, though it doesn't actually say as much.

Quote Originally Posted by lah7 View Post
    I've just tested this by connecting to my Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop using the Remote Desktop Client on Windows 8.1 (Beta) and I have no issues.

Using "vnc-any" to connect to 'localhost' to give me the Unity desktop as it is to the physically logged in user, interacts with no problems. I also tried the "sesman-Xvnc" module to start a concurrent session, which uses the GNOME Classic environment ("gnome-session-fallback") and again, there are no problems with controlling my apps.

Does this happen with any RDP clients (try your distribution's built in one) or just from the Windows 8 system? Also, which desktop environment does XRDP use?
    The RDP client I've been trying to use is the built-in Win8 one. I've not tried any others, mainly because it appears to work at it's most fundamental level, it just won't let me control apps once they're opened.

The desktop environment is the Kubuntu KDE SC Version 4.10.5 running on top of a 64-bit 13.04 server.

time for tea...
    Back in a bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
    Well yesterday kind of got wiped out and I didn't manage to get too much done on there at all. However, by way of an update

I've installed both SSH and FreeNx on the Ubuntu server, and the NoMachines NX client 3.5.0-9 on my Win8 PC. Everything looks to have installed correctly, but when I try to connect, the NX client runs through its connection sequence, shows a black full screen window for perhaps 5 seconds, then shuts itself down again. Looking at the log file reads as follows:

I've checked that the freenx-server is running, and it says that it is. The NX client gives every appearance of trying to connect then, but looks to be being refused, though it doesn't actually say as much.

Back in a bit
    About NX ...
    Did you just install FreeNX or did you install it AND follow the manual setup instructions at the ubuntu freenx howto link? There are 3 extra steps, but it is worth it - security AND performance is greater with NX. Let me google for the page I mean ... "ubuntu freenx howto" found it - first link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX So, did you retrieve and run the nxsetup script? Did you copy the resulting ssh-key to the client machine(s)?

BTW, I didn't change the default sshd listening port here, on the server. I use port translation on the router and have it listen on a high port that redirects to 22 on the server. When I'm outside the network (around town or the world), I connect to that high port for NX connections.

Does ssh work without NX? If it doesn't, NX will never work.

If you've done these things, then look for the log file on both the client AND the server - look for errors, warnings inside each. Usually, there is a clear error describing whatever the issue is. That has been my experience.

About RDP ...
    I know that Since Win-Vista, Microsoft's RDP implementation has included more security. I thought the server-side needed to reduce to the legacy version for Linux clients to work properly - I don't know if the Windows-RDP client needs to do that to connect to Linux RDP servers - sorry, I just don’t know. I only use RDP from Linux-TO-Windows.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I think I'm a little closer than I was. It looks like the step I've missed is getting the public key across to the client. I've run out of day though, so I'll be taking another look in the morning. Many thanks for the help so far.

Beans
    Distro

I have been using the same 'Howto' as you've linked to there, which did include running the nxsetup script on the initial installation.

Since then, things have moved on a little...

The disappearing black screen has been replaced by a black screen that stays on screen until I close it myself. There are no error messages though, but it shows no sign of displaying what's on the server.

SSH does look to be working, as I can connect from the same Win8 PC using PuTTy.

The bit that's puzzling me now is the use of the encryption keys. Both public and private keys have been created, and I can see them sitting there on the server in /root/.ssh/ - what I'm scratching my head over is a) Do I need to use them? And b) How do I get the public key onto the Win8 box?

it is all a bit slow going with me I'm afraid, but I'm finding I'm having to re-learn an awful lot all over again. It's been quite a while since I spent time with Ubuntu, and it shows. So thanks again for all the help, it really is appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't think root/.ssh/ has anything to do with my NX setup. My setup uses the nx userid and keys from that user. The public key needs to be entered into the nx-client software, and your login credentials via NX GUIs are your userid and password. In this way, both a key AND password are necessary - something you have and something you know. Good security practice.

So, I guess the first thing to check is whether an nx userid was created on your system and if the ~nx/.ssh/ directory has a public key inside that you can get to the NX client. On my nx server machines, the keys are in /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/

I think this section of the guide is what you might be missing: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fr...ustom_SSH_keys
    Last edited by TheFu; August 3rd, 2013 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've tried running through the section you pointed me at (not the one that continues on to "Using Custom SSH keys on Lucid", I don't seem to be getting the results I'd expect. First thing I checked was the /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/ directory, and I could see a client.id_dsa.key file there that was created on 1 Aug. Given that I'd not previously run through this section of the guide, it seems logical that this was the default key mentioned.

I then ran through the line...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure freenx-server
    ...and got the 'OK' prompt, selected 'Create new custom keys', then selected 'SSH'. At that point, it dropped out of the 'Configuring freenx-server' dialogue, back to the PuTTy shell, with the message 'Not starting FreeNX server, it's already started'. I've tried this a couple of times now, both with FreeNX stopped and started. Checking back in the /var/lib/nxserver/home/.ssh/ directory, I can see that the same default key created on 1 Aug is still there untouched, though as I've not been asked to provide a password or create a key, this isn't a surprise at this point.

The other thing I've not spotted going through this is any request to either create, or inform me of, an nx userid. Is there somewhere specific I can look for that, or should it be one of the key creation steps?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast