Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Edge Superphone Indiegogo Campaign

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu Edge Superphone Indiegogo Campaign

argh duplidate :/
    Last edited by djbenny; July 31st, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by GKY6kbA View Post
    Hi there,
    I saw some people asking about additionnal VAT in the European Union. The answer on the Indiegogo page is not really helpful for people outside UK, even Victor has not been clear.
    Maybe they can add the information that in the EU, there are no other VAT if the product has been sold by a company inside the EU and the local VAT has been applied, which is likely the case.
    The official link speaking of this on the EU is :
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...e/index_en.htm
    Hope this helps people to buy more phones as some were afraid of having to pay for a supplementary 20% of the price !
    Canonical confirmed includes the price

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/u...fusing-backers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by djbenny View Post
    Canonical confirmed includes the price

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/07/u...fusing-backers
    It doesn't specify if other EU citizens have to pay VAT, only UK.

What matters to us is WHERE the package is shipped from after we've paid. If it ships to me from China I get to pay $200 extra. If it's imported to the UK first (getting the VAT paid with the pledge) and then shipped to me I don't have to pay VAT.

The VAT in UK is 20%, the VAT where I live is 25%. Theoretically Canonical could rent a room in Luxembourg, import the finished goods there at 15% VAT and then distribute to other EU countries in order to save some money, I believe. Once the goods are inside the EU, there's no VAT.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I want to stress something that I mentioned in the Reddit - I don't think perks are actually the issue, and Shuttleworth's resistance to them seems to me to reflect that he understands that. If every man, woman, and child on Earth bought an Ubuntu Edge T-shirt and no phone, the campaign would "succeed" and no one would get a phone. That's what Shuttleworth is talking about when he says it's not a charity - the campaign is about testing demand for phones, and if it's sufficient, producing them.
    The problem is that (at least in USA) few can afford the phone (i.e., any phone at retail). Everyone subsidizes the cost of the phone through the carrier. Even prepaid carrier (e.g., T-Mobile) will subsidize the cost of the phone by raising the monthly charge slightly. Lots of people living paycheck to paycheck in slumped economy.

So it's not as simple as: Do people want the phone; is there demand for the phone? I think there clearly is. The problem is that people have no time to save for the phone (only 30 days) and they have no financing options. So you have a huge portion of the population who are not able to buy the phone (but they would buy the phone if they could finance the purchase or had several months to save up for the purchase). So IMHO the problem with the campaign is that it does not accurately reflect demand for the phone. I still hope it succeeds, and I hope that enough people donating small amounts can make up for this problem. But unfortunately it won't get phones into the hands of the people who would have bought could they have financed it or saved for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't seriously understand how a person who could afford an $800 phone could not have access to a credit card.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

How about offering some free Ubuntu1 space (perhaps even for life?) with phone pledges( say from 790$ upwards) and half price Ubuntu1 space for donations (ie donate 50$ and get 100$ worth of Ubuntu1 storage). With the numbers involved this would not be a large "real" outlay for canonical and could be marketed strongly as a real offer to everyone who uses a computer or smartphone.

Roger
    Last edited by roger_1960; July 31st, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans

Tell me if i should stop posting things here? Don't want to be annoying or anything...

See it also on my Deviantart http://anthrabox.deviantart.com/art/...tors-389718968

Again tell me if i'm being annoying.

---------------------------------------------
    EDIT.

Any of the images i post here you can use to do what ever ideas you have.
    Last edited by zdrx4d3; July 31st, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: EDIT

Beans
    Hidden!

Well my pledge is in and all to do now is spread the word and see if there are enough tech enthusiasts in the world to make this a reality!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zdrx4d3 View Post
    Tell me if i should stop posting things here? Don't want to be annoying or anything...
    Just continue, your work is awesome and great to see fan art.

Btw I'm going to pledge a t-shirt now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jussi2 View Post
    Just continue, your work is awesome and great to see fan art.

Btw I'm going to pledge a t-shirt now
    Thanks. And cool. Unfortunately i am unable to pledge more then $20

Also here's another to mark 20 days to go

Admittedly not my best work but... I'll do more...

See it also on my DA http://anthrabox.deviantart.com/art/...Edge-389984184

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast