Thread: Ubuntu Server 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ubuntu Server 13.04

Hey guys. I was wondering about something with Ubuntu server. I have a router coming in and wifi going out to all my laptops. The router has to stay in its place. I also have in my possesion a Netgear Range Extender WN2000RPT and a simple desktop server I made. I want the server in spare room away from the router. Can I use the range Extender to get an internet connection to the desktop via lan connection? I know it should be hard wired, but right at the moment, it isnt happening. I just want to use the server. So here is the setup I guess; Router - WIFI - Laptops
    |
    WIFI / Netgear Range Extender - Lan connection to etho on Desktop Ubuntu Server 13.04

Make sense? I guess I am trying to get the server back on the internet using WIFI through the range Extender. Is this even possible? Sounds plausible. I know it will be slow. but for now it will do. I am pretty knew on the server side, so please be paitent. Thakns.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Server 13.04

It makes sense, but I don't think this will work ...

Beans

Depends if you can use the range extender in a bridged mode. I have a TL-WR702N that I use as a bridge for PXE booting clients around my house.

Beans

If the server only needs to handle a limited range of services, you're probably better off using port forwarding from your router back to the server. Any arrangement that puts your server behind a masquerading router will prevent it from being visible on the Internet.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users