Thread: How to connect two pc with lan for internet access

Beans

Exclamation How to connect two pc with lan for internet access

I have two computers, the first computer (PC1) have two network cards, the first network card (ethernet 0) is connected to a broadband(DSL). The second network card (ethernet 1) is connected to the second computer (PC2). My problem is, how to configure the two computers (PC1 & PC2) that PC2 can access the internet? Please help. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to connect two pc with lan for internet access

Create a new profile in the network-manager of the first PC naming it somehow. For the regular eth0 interface choose "Automatic DHCP" for the second profile for eth1 "together with other ...". For the second profile you need the MAC address of the interface:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1
    Add it, too.

On PC2 choose "Automatic DHCP"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by shadhin View Post
    I have two computers, the first computer (PC1) have two network cards, the first network card (ethernet 0) is connected to a broadband(DSL). The second network card (ethernet 1) is connected to the second computer (PC2). My problem is, how to configure the two computers (PC1 & PC2) that PC2 can access the internet? Please help. Thanks.
    You have not mentioned which operating system you are using. It could be MS / Linux/ Mac etc etc.
    Anyhow, For

Windows:

You need to enable routing services through Control Panel---->>Administrative Tools---->>> Services
    Then you need to share the connection that is connected to the DSL modem.

Linux:

You need to use IP Tables to redirect traffic from one Ethernet (Connected to DSL modem) to the other ethernet (connected to the PC2) and the other way round. Also you will be required to use NAT translations to get the traffic from Ethernet 2( connected to PC2) to Eth-1 (connected to DSL) and to get it back.

This is the basic idea of doing it. Please search for actual commands to accomplish this depending on your OS.
    Last edited by anspectrum; July 20th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.

Beans

thanks. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 64 Bit.

Beans

Isn't it better to place a router in between?
    In this situation pc1 should always be powered on to get internet towards pc2

Beans

Isn't it better to place a router in between?
    In this situation pc1 should always be powered on to get internet towards pc2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 for the router. Last week I bought a router at Goodwill, for $0.80. It's not state of the art, but it's a better and simpler solution than PC2 going through PC1 to the Internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+2 for a router, there are several advantages. Gordon, stressing the budget are we?

Beans

+3 for a router, saves a little work and a little on power as only one computer needs to be on.