Thread: Virtualization software and method for studies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtualization software and method for studies.

Hey guys, I hope you are doing fine today. I am sorry the subject for my thread doesn't mention much, i was confused as to what exactly i should write. Anyways, I am planning to give RHCE exam in a few months. As i will be playing around the Red Hat system for a longer time, resulting in breakages and all, i thought of using virtualization. Also, with virtualization, once i know i have the base system ready, i would like to copy the image file of the guest OS, so whenever there is a breakage, i can just copy the old image and voila! i can start my work again. I understand this is plausible, i just need to know which virtualization tool would go easy to do all this and which supports auto-detection of images in its folder, something more automated so i don't need to spend more time in messing around with the virtualization software itself. Thank you for your time guys. Have a nice day ahead.
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!

Beans

Re: Virtualization software and method for studies.

Yes, that is exactly how a lot of development and testing is done. I am mostly working on a Mac, but I usually have VMs running of two other things.

Install Virtualbox, make a VM with a size of about 30GB, install RedHat, install Guest Additions, then quit and make a tar archive of the whole VM directory (or use Virtualbox itself to 'export' a copy). From then on, when you need a fresh version, just untar (or import) again and you are back to a virgin RedHat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks @HermanAB That helps...
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Virtualisation.