Hi All,

New laptop:

Toshiba Satellite P50 model number: P50-A-01E
    Intel Core i7-4700MQ
    Intel HD4600 + NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M with Optimus
    Windows 8 pre-installed
    full specs here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...rchPageIndex=1

BIOS settings: Secure Boot Disabled, Boot Mode UEFI

I can NOT get an Xubuntu 12.04, Xubuntu 12.04.2 Alternate, Xubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 13.04 AND Xubuntu-saucy-13.10 (all amd64) past the intial bootloader / choose install or try ubuntu stage.

Have modified all kinds of grub loader options such as: nomodeset, acpi=off, nomodeset acpi=off, acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor, i915.i915_enable_rc6=1, etc. NONE HAVE WORKED.

I keep getting stuck at a BLANK screen immediately choosing boot options. CTL+ALT+Fx does nothing...changing brightness does nothing, etc.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Also tried booting off of VGA and HDMI...no dice.
    Last edited by leespa; July 20th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: haswell laptop - can't boot livecd

You have the very newest hardware which probably needs the newest version of Ubuntu.
    Are you able to control which video mode you boot with from UEFI/BIOS? That would narrow down the possible boot options needed.
    Some also only boot in BIOS mode even though they should boot in UEFI mode. Each writes system info differently and UEFI may not be doing it correctly. Do you have the latest UEFI/BIOS version from vendor?

Another user with an early Intel posted this:
    The problem was caused by another technology by Intel called the Integrated Network Interface Controller (NIC) that was conflicting with my USB controller that prevented my LiveUSB from working
    Some BIOS
    turn off discrete graphics
    turn off "os optimus detection"
    Last edited by oldfred; July 20th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

@oldfred - thanks for the reply.

Control video = NO. The Optimus setup is 'muxless' as I understand it so no way to specify this and/or change anything to do with video. I have a slightly older laptop with HD4000 setup same issue, but I got Xubuntu 12.04 installed no issues.

It seems when I boot in 'CSM Boot' versus 'UEFI Boot' it completely ignores all USB, HDD and then tries to boot PXE off the NIC for some unknown reason.

I will try turning the NIC off -AND/OR- updating the BIOS if available and report back.

THANK YOU

Beans

Turned NIC off and then booted off of USB. Was NOT an issue with any Linux distro just a quirk of the laptop.

Am now running 13.10 daily and everything works. Also had to stick with EFI boot ON, Secure Boot disabled. Wouldn't boot off of any media or HDD when mode set to CSM.

Thanks all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad you got it working.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hey, I am looking to get myself that laptop. Can you give me your impressions? Are all devices (sound, nic, wifi) working? Is the battery life good with Linux? Any special incantations required?
    Thanks.

Beans

@sroutier - it's fast and everything works well on it using 13.10.

It is not of the same build quality, feature-set of a more expensive Enterprise grade laptop of course, but for $1000 you get a lot of cutting edge hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leespa View Post
    Turned NIC off and then booted off of USB. Was NOT an issue with any Linux distro just a quirk of the laptop.

Am now running 13.10 daily and everything works. Also had to stick with EFI boot ON, Secure Boot disabled. Wouldn't boot off of any media or HDD when mode set to CSM.

Thanks all.

I also have a Thosbiba P50 model laptop. Once I got it I immediately swapped the HDD to a SSD and tried to install Ubuntu. After following your hints I managed to boot the Ubuntu Install from my USB drive and managed to install Ubuntu to my SSD. But when the Installation of Ubuntu is done and I reboot in order to boot Ubuntu from the SSD I get this message "Reboot and select proper boot drive or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

The settings in BIOS is like you did, Secure Boot Off, EFI Boot ON, and NIC turned Off.

This is really frustrating, as the BIOS detects the SSD, and Ubuntu finds the SSD during installation and writes the OS to it, but I cannot boot the OS from the SSD once the installation is done :/

Anything you experienced? Any hints on what to to do?

Beans

@don-kozm0 - only thing I can think of is that bootloader didn't get installed properly or to right media. I had seen grub get installed to USB in older Ubuntu installs. OS installation went good and then unit wouldn't boot like you described.

On this unit's HDD I had to futz around with getting MBR fixed, but that is mainly due to the fact that the existing Win8 partitions weren't 100% wiped before installing Win7 and then Ubuntu. Company IT folks installed Win7 and then I took it from there...
    Last edited by leespa; August 21st, 2013 at 02:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leespa View Post
    @don-kozm0 - only thing I can think of is that bootloader didn't get installed properly or to right media. I had seen grub get installed to USB in older Ubuntu installs. OS installation went good and then unit wouldn't boot like you described.

On this unit's HDD I had to futz around with getting MBR fixed, but that is mainly due to the fact that the existing Win8 partitions weren't 100% wiped before installing Win7 and then Ubuntu. Company IT folks installed Win7 and then I took it from there...

Hmm, I noticed one difference though in my setup. You said in another post I found on the forum, that after you had installed Ubuntu, you then switched NIC back on again, where as mine is still sett to OFF. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I will try that once I get home from work just to check.

Really strange if the bootloader has not been installed on the right drive. I have always installed Ubuntu from a memory stick in the past, and never have I experienced anything wrong with booting up the OS from the HDD/SSD. But you did nothing more than format the hdd, turn secure boot off, nic off, and efi boot on, install win 7 first, and then ubuntu, and it just worked? Nothing more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast