Thread: Workspace problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Workspace problem

Hi all,
    I have a problem with using multiple workspaces on Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome (and indeed Unity).
    I have been playing with Compix to enable some effects, while using Gnome session fallback.
    Previously I had 4 workspaces and could navigate between them with no problem.

Now, when logging on to gnome I can see the 4 workspaces in the bottom right but can't switch to anything.
    When logging on to Unity I don't get any multiple workspaces, just the one.

I have tried changing the workspace configuration via Compiz and Ubuntu Tweak etc etc but still can't reenable anything other than 1 workspace.

Any offers? Not a major issue but I like using multi-workspaces and wish I'd never touched Compiz now!

Thanks
    Paul

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Workspace problem

the system is very (too) sensitive to that instable compiz; so reset it to default using dconf
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/how-t...in-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. That link refers to 12.10 and 13.04; is it still valid for 12.04?
    I think tyhat dconf reset command is one of the thing's I've tried (had to use sudo) but it didn't seem to have any effect

Beans

I've had the exact same problem. I don't know what this will do for you in unity (which I consider a virus and won't use it), but try this in the fallback session:

In compiz settings manager, go to the General Options item, and in it there should be a tab called Desktop Size. Only three settings. They should be:

Horizontal Virtual Size = 4
    Vertical Virtual Size = 1
    Number of Desktops = 1

Yeah, confused me too, but it works.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and I can see the ws config being changed to 1 row of 4 spaces, but I still can't select anything other then the first one!

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, well I've half fixed this, I used My Unity to set the numer of workspaces to 4 horizontal times 1 vertical and it now works OK on Unity but not on Gnome. I'll keep searching.

Beans

Re: settings for both ccsm & ws switcher applet

In 12.04 set ccsm as desired, see screen
    Also right click on the workspace applet in bottom panel > Preferences & make sure it's set to 1x1, also in screen

If that doesn't work maybe set up a new user to test, login & set up as in screenshot, see if it works there
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by r_avital View Post
    I've had the exact same problem. I don't know what this will do for you in unity (which I consider a virus and won't use it), but try this in the fallback session:

In compiz settings manager, go to the General Options item, and in it there should be a tab called Desktop Size. Only three settings. They should be:

Horizontal Virtual Size = 4
    Vertical Virtual Size = 1
    Number of Desktops = 1

Yeah, confused me too, but it works.
    Many thanks r_avital, this solution works fine for me (Ubuntu 13.04 - Gnome Classic)