Thread: Chromium or Google chrome

Beans

Chromium or Google chrome

Want to try different web browser other than Firefox...

Which one should I install Google chrome or Chromium... Plz suggest me.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chromium or Google chrome

maybe try the ones already inside the archives, to know if you like them; chrome is a closed sourse, chromium is open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Chrome includes Google tracking , pepper flash, and proprietary codec/s not present in Chromium. Both browsers look similar under the hood as afar as settings go. Chrome development seems more timely than any of the Chromium based browsers I have used including Chromium, Iron, and Dragon for Windows. Chromium is also open source if that is important,
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: New Docs
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You might want to try "Qupzilla" .

Beans
    Distro

Chrome also has a built in pdf reader (which comes in very handy) and it adds a ppa to your software sources so that you automatically get new versions and updates through the ubuntu updater...
    As previously mentioned it also has an up to date flash plug in (pepper flash) and a few other codecs that Chromium does not have....and with Chromium (as with Firefox) you have to reply on the rather outdated adobe flash that you got installed with ubuntu restricted extras...Adobe no longer makes new versions of flash for linux BUT they have an agreement with Google to provide latest versions for it's Chrome flash plug in...

I have used both and now use Chrome exclusively...mostly because it is more a more complete package then Chromium...

Beans

After Snowden case I's choose Chromium over Chrome. Although I don't think it makes any different.

Chromium might be the default browser in Ubuntu.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/u...ch-to-chromium

Beans
    Distro

As far as tracking...what many people don't realize is that many home pages (including yahoo which i love to use as my home page) also track and so do various web sites you probably visit every day (including forums that have ads on them, etc...) the reason they track is simply to target ads specifically to your apparent interests and not for some nefarious reason as some here seem to think....
    Also, as i said, the pepperflash plug in provides the latest flash versions...when you use Firefox or Chromium you are using the 2 year old flash on your system and Adobe no longer provides new versions for that on linux, only security updates...

But it's your decision of course...Chromium is fine but Chrome is more complete and more updated...The only reason Ubuntu is not considering it over chromium (as the new possible default browser) is because Chrome has a license agreement added to it that has to be said yes to when you download it...but then, so do microsoft fonts if you want to install them along with ubuntu restricted extras...so it is not really any big deal...
    Last edited by craig10x; July 19th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I find that Chrome includes a few more out of the box features than Chromium, and I don't really feel the need to have the newest updates the second they come out, they make their way to Chrome pretty quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    You might want to try "Qupzilla" .
    Qupzilla looks interesting. Personally, I like Opera.
    PopularPages, a useful index of the most frequently accessed pages in the Community Help Wiki.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro

Interestingly enough, Opera 15 (which will soon come to linux and already available for windows and mac) is now chromium based...