I just switched back to linux from windows. That could be a whole post in and of itself but this isn't the forum for it. In any case, I bought an HD7770 that worked brilliantly in windows. Now that I'm in Linux I'm having a ton of troubles with it.

First off, when I first load the mint installer, the fan on the video card goes 100% and stays there until the OS is installed. Then, it continues that way until I install the proprietary driver. Another issue I'm having which I have attributed to the video card based on comments of others with the same problem is that some of the icons in the tray in the bottom right corner don't update at all. To check if there are any updates to mint that I have to download, I have to move my mouse over the icon in order to see if there is anything available. There are other icons as well that should notify me of certain things but don't.

Yet another issue is in games. I've installed steam and I installed the game I thought would be the least taxing on the video card which is team fortress classic. While it is playable, there are a lot of errors in the video and lots of hesitation, etc. Counter-strike source is unplayable. I tried loading Kubuntu just to try it there and it wouldn't even let me play any of the simple games such as supertuxcart and other simple such games. The games would load but the screen was black.

There are other things but these are the highlights. This card plays some fairly advanced games in windows but clearly the drivers aren't up to par in linux. I've never been a fan of MS before but lately with all that has been in the news, it was the straw that broke the camel's back and I'm back with linux to stay.

Anyway, the OS works fine for the most part, its just the games that are mainly causing the problems. The fan on the card even makes some weird noises at times. However, the OS is usable and I can live with that until a future time when, hopefully, there are some good updates to the drivers. If anyone else has had any problems like this or knows how to improve on the situation, your advice is most welcome.