Thread: Please help configure simple gnome-fallback desktop

Beans

Please help configure simple gnome-fallback desktop

Apologies in advance if I mix up some of the terms used in this question, I'll be as detailed as I can.

Using Raring 13.04 64 Bit.

What I would like, is to use gnome with a top panel for launchers, notifications, and indicators, a bottom panel showing running applications. Also, I would like to use some of the features of compiz (which seems to be still buggin in 13.04 -- separte story).

To that end, I've installed the gnome-fallback package. Upon login, I get the options for Fallback and Fallback-no effects. I use the no-effects session to set up launchers on the top panel, and the gnome fallback -- with effects -- for actual work. At least, that was the plan.

Now, in a regular Gnome3 session, I get the launcher that looks like a large panel/bar on the left, what is that called, unity? In any case, I do apologize deeply to the developers for being such a primitive boob, but I simply don't like it. I see no progress, no advantage, in having to bump a window's titlebar against the top panel and hover over it to see the application's menu, but then again, I'm a primitive boob, so I apologize to the developers. That's why I went through the trouble of installing the fallback session options.

So this was working for a few hours, then after enabling static application switching in compiz, I get the launch-bar on the left, IN THE FALLBACK session. Also, I have no menus in open applications -- I mean the "File Edit View" etc menus you get with practically every application. I found some "ask ubuntu" advice to do the following in a terminal:

dconf reset -f /org/compiz
    unity --reset-icons &disown

That left me with windows with menus as I wanted, but no window titlebar. I double-checked in CCSM, the Windows Decorations was enabled. Disabled-reenabled, same result

Rebooting into the same fallback session, I get the launcher on the left again, and no menus on any open application, which all have their titlebars.

So what I would like:

1. No big fat launcher on the left, right, or anywhere. I want the launchers I set up on the top panel.
    2. Windows should have titlebars, with the menu, min/max/close buttons.
    3. Application windows should have their menus.
    4. Be able to use all that in a gnome-fallback WITH effects session.

Am I expecting too much?

I'd be grateful for any assistance you can offer. Please help, because after trying Precise-LTS-gnome with/without fallback, Precise-LTS-xubuntu, and Raring-gnome, each with its own problems, I'm at the end of my rope with Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance, and again, my apologies to the developers.
    Last edited by r_avital; July 31st, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please help configure simple gnome-fallback desktop

when you first login, you have to choose which DE you want to log with : ubuntu (aka unity) , gnome (aka gnome-shell), gnome-classic (with the buggy compiz) & gnome-classic without effects. This can be done via the gear on top right corner of lightdm login screen.

The stock 13.04 is still using the old fashioned gnome2 (3.6) look & feel which you get when you are logged as gnome-classic (fallback); otherwise you get the unity DE with its left vertical icons bar. You also can get the newer (and stable) gnome3 (3.8) via gnome3-team ppa
    Then you can install gnome-tweak-tool and/or unity-tweak-tool and/or dconf-editor to set your favorite DE as you wish

Beans

dino99,

I know you're knowedgeable about this, so thanks for the prompt reply.

I've read your reply, logged off so I could write down the options I get, and logged back in. What I have:

Gnome Fallback
    Gnome Fallback (No Effects)
    System Default
    Ubuntu

In that order. [System default gives me nothing more than the wallpaper, working mouse pointer, nothing else. Clicking, right-clicking, waiting, nothing happens. Ctrl+Alt+Del, thankfully, gives me a logout choice. Let's leave that for another day, I can live without it]

So Ubuntu is Unity, and I know what the other two are. Am I correct that the Gnome3 3.8 won't resolve my issue in Gnome Fallback?

I've run dconf-editor, found an entry in org/gnome/desktop/session called session-name. It was set to ubuntu, known values are gnome and gnome-fallback. I set it to gnome-fallback, and logged off, logged back on to gnome fallback with effects, the launcher is still there.

Bottom line: Why am I getting the launch-bar in a Gnome Fallback (with effects) session? Is that by design? More importantly, how do I get rid of it and get my launchers on the top panel again?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've ran ubuntu-tweak and gnome-tweak-tool, neither of them lets me get rid of the launcher. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by r_avital; July 19th, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you considered MATE on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Bottom line: Why am I getting the launch-bar in a Gnome Fallback (with effects) session?
    It reads like the Unity plug-in is enabled in Classic with effects and shouldn't be . If you have the Compiz Configuration Settings Manager installed the Unity plug-in can be disabled in Classic w/effects. I can't answer why Unity is enabled in that session other than it may be a bug or glitch. I have classic installed as a result installing the Gnome Shell, but prefer the XFCE session over Classic.

There is a good guide for Classic no effects if you are interested interested and as written above Mate is a Gnome 2 fork which is like the old desktop.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/mate-...in-ubuntu.html
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; July 19th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thank you buzzingrobot and Frogs Hairs,

I had uninstalled the Compiz Unity plugin altogether, and all app windows showed up with no window titlebar. I re-installed it, and somehow it got re-installed in an enabled status. Disabling it took the launcher away, but hovering over the top panel with an open application on desktop did NOT show me the app's menu.

And Yes, I had just heard of MATE for the first time afer my previous post, and been experimenting with it. Looks like a viable solution.

I don't want to bother the wrong members by posting in the wrong forum. MATE is a Mint product, so I'm wondering -- where should I post questions on issues with MATE under Ubuntu Raring, so it is not moved? Or should I try a different forum altogether?

For instance, right now, in a MATE session in Raring:

1. I have three icons on the desktop ("Computer" "so and so's Home" and "Trash") that I can't get rid of, even though the gnome-tweak-tools configuration shows them "off" -- even under Gnome-Fallback. In both Gnome-Fallback and Mate, the "delete" context-menu option for these is grayed-out.

2. The clock/calendar applet thatr is supposed to interface with the calendar in evolution, doesn't -- doesn't show upcoming events, doesn't launch the evolution calendar when double-clicking on a date in the applet, etc.

Where would I post questions about such issues?

Last question -- it seems many people agree that Unity is a young product still searching for direction, and that as it stands now it's a great click and time waster. Is there a feedback area to the developers, that they would read to glean some "polite insight" as to what to do with unity?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by r_avital; July 20th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MATE is an independent project.

Gnome-Tweak-Tool doesn't know about MATE. It's a tool to manipulate Gnome 3.

I'd post MATE questions in this form or at the forums at mate-desktop.org. This forum gets the most traffic, by far.

I'm not excited about Unity's default aesthetics, but, for usabililty, I find it just fine. I typically keep a number of apps open in individual workspaces. Switching between them with Unity's Launcher is a one-click affair. I.e., clicking on the icon of an open app displays that app in its workspace. Can't do that in Gnome 2/MATE. Gnome Shell actually takes it one more step by automatically creating workspaces and deleting empty workspaces. I.e., I can open a new app in a new work space with one click and without manually creating that new workspace.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There are definitely Mate/Ubuntu users here and a new thread with Mate specific questions and a fitting title may get more attention than the current thread. I use different window managers in order to learn my way around them, but Ubuntu is my starting point.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

try these 2 links very clear and easy also see my screenshots of my classic setup. Panels can be any side you like
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...4-precise.html
    Well we have the forums back but now screenshots won't upload sorry