Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get Ubuntu 13.04 to work in Virtual Box

Beans

Can't get Ubuntu 13.04 to work in Virtual Box

I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 in Virtual Box (VB) and it is incredibly slow. I've Googled this and have found a ton of people that have this issue but no real solution. Some of the things I have tried to do include updating to the latest version of VB, installing guest additions, enabling 2D and/or 3D acceleration, increasing RAM/HD space to the VM, but the issue remains.

There are lots of suggestions, but I haven't come across a post that has a solution. It seems this issue has been outstanding since last year.

Would anyone know how to fix this issue?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Can't get Ubuntu 13.04 to work in Virtual Box

How much RAM are you giving to the Virtual Box Machine? If it is near 2GB then it shouldn't be slow.

Anything less than that & you might want to try Xubuntu!
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    How much RAM are you giving to the Virtual Box Machine? If it is near 2GB then it shouldn't be slow.

Anything less than that & you might want to try Xubuntu!
    The master PC has 8GB RAM and I have tried all configurations from 2-4GB RAM. From what I have read, it is an incompatibility between Virtual Box and the more recent versions of Ubuntu.

Since it has been outstanding since last year, I would think there would be a fix or a workaround available?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have 13.04 running in virtualbox and I did nothing extra to get it working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread moved to Virtualisation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    I have 13.04 running in virtualbox and I did nothing extra to get it working.
    All I can say is that you are fortunate to have been able to do it. A Google search on "ubuntu 13.04 slow virtualbox" shows that people are raising this issue on a variety of different forums.

Beans

Oh wow, I thought this was just me. I also installed 13.04 on VMWare Player, and it's running like a champion! (but no 3D capability until I actually purchase the software )

I'm spewing, though, I've always wanted to try out VB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My suggestion is to go vmware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    My suggestion is to go vmware.
    I did think about vmware but because I'm so familiar with virtual box, my preference is to stick with that. For now, I'm going to just wait it out, hopefully down the road, Canonical and/or Virtual Box will be able to sort out the issue although in researching this, the issue has been outstanding for months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have never tried virtual box, so perhaps I am biased. I have been a registered user of VMWare workstation since version 6 was introduced, now using version 9.03. I have used it natively on both linux (Suse) and various versions of Windows (vista, 7, 8). Since I am fairly pro-linux, it would be my main dream to run Ubuntu natively on this Lenovo W530, which is what I use now, but the reconfiguring is too much of a hassle for me right now, so I took the path of least resistance, and run VMware on top of Win 8, and I have two versions of Ubuntu setup by me as virtual machines, each with 2 gig of ram, and 200 gig drives. When I run full screen, it's impossible to tell the difference between native and virtual, and I spend my time enjoying my hardware, instead of constantly tweaking it, something for which I have zero patience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast