Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Version of Ubuntu: LTS or Current?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best Version of Ubuntu: LTS or Current?

I might use Virtual if I had space on the HDD for that. I've run others off Live images to look at them but mine is an old dinorsaur and I just don't want to tax it so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It depends whether you're more concerned with stability or code freshness.

Personally, i often look over code for packages i use and *excitement* see that there have been improvements to memory consumption, new features and bug fixes but these new versions might not become an SRU (A stable release update) which gets backported to the latest LTS version (it feels a bit potluck sometimes), so only users using the 'latest and greatest' version of the OS will have access to it immediately by default*. The reason you can't just pull in a .deb that was built for a later ubuntu version is that the dependencies won't be satisfied: this new package will require a multitude of newer versioned packages itself - which can increase how many you're installing exponentially to a maximum!

*You could also compile packages you want from source of course, but if you continue on down this road, you may find yourself a gentoo linux user! (compiling is just too much fun )

Edit: (So i would say 'current')
    Disco ut intelligam. I learn, so that I may understand.
    https://launchpad.net/~linuxchemist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am so conservative I make Mother Teresa look like Attila the Hun so once I had 12.04LTS bedded down I swore I wouldn't change. A momentary lapse in judgement saw me create a new partition to play with 12.10 and I had more problems than a duck on a sewage farm. I'm no Linux expert so the Quantal problems were probably of my own doing. Frustrated with 12.10 I cloned my original Precise partition into the dodgy Quantal partition and upgraded it to Raring.

Holy snapping frogpoop! Raring is ballistic compared to Precise, and looked a lot better, and was more adaptable, and and and... Raring is now my production environment and naturally I have caught the "what about" bug and have partitions with raring and saucy testing gnome shell, Xfce, Mint, Cinnamon and anything else I can get my hands on.

Raring is super stable and a joy to use. Hard drives are as cheap as a politician's promise atm so load up and fire away. But don't forget, always keep your old production partition locked away safe before you move on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I was on 12.04 LTS for about a year. 12.10 didn't really work to well with me when I tested it out so I waited for 13.04. I usually always test out the latest version once they come out, and keep an eye on the updates they get. If I find it to be mostly stable and there are new features I must have, I'll go ahead and use it as my primary OS. Then again some of you folks are using this on work machines. Mine is just my personal desktop computer so I don't need to be as careful as most people.

Beans

Both have advantages and disadvantages.
    12.04 is longer supported
    13.04 has the latest and greatest but is not supported for very long.
    But I do find 13.04 overall more stable then 12.04, my biggest worry is if 13.10 stinks I wont have any options to go back once 13.04 reaches its end of support cycle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    my biggest worry is if 13.10 stinks I wont have any options to go back once 13.04 reaches its end of support cycle.
    Technically one could make the same argument about any release that is now on the verge of EOL, but I do see what you're saying, I guess we'll have to see how well this new rolling release model goes.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    Technically one could make the same argument about any release that is now on the verge of EOL, but I do see what you're saying, I guess we'll have to see how well this new rolling release model goes.
    What new rolling release model would that be? Thought the developers decided that development branch will be the unofficial rolling release and they would add some kind of symlink for automatic transitioning into each new development release...Is that what you are referring to or have you heard something else recently?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123