Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanna get back to ubuntu but have doubts

Beans

install Canon driver for MG3200 series how-to

here is a how-to on installing the driver for your Canon MG3200 series printer: the driver covers the 3220, the 3250 ...........the 3270...... you get the idea...........

please see post #2

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=Canon+printer

if you copy and paste the commands, it should all work for you; best wishes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wanna get back to ubuntu but have doubts

Thanks, I will try the Canon solution. I just wanna drop the screen flicker solution here if anyone stumbles upon this thread in search of a solution:
    1) Enter BIOS, disable secure boot, change boot mode from UEFI to CSM. This solved the initial flicker.
    2) When I installed Ubuntu (yes, I couldn't stand Win 8 and wiped it out); I had black screen with occassional flicker at log-in (though I would hear the log-in sound and knew that installation had gone well). I couldn't see anything and do anything. I solved that using the instructions here: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

So, I've been on Ubuntu 13.04 on this new laptop for a day. Here are some observations relating to my doubts:
    1) However bad Ubuntu gets, it'll never be worse than Win 8. I JUST could not stand that thing.
    2) 13.04 is a whole lot better than 12.10, which was unusable because of how buggy it was. Dash really seems to have become that could save you time.
    3) My biggest problems with 13.04 so far are:
    a) Toshiba function keys not working except for volume. Not being able to adjust screen brightness is a big problem right now and also I often take my laptops to lectures where I connect to projector and I need that function key which handles those connections to really work.
    b) gtk-redshift is not doing anything (this is also really important for me, eye protection for those long hours)
    c) DVD playing was choppy with VLC even though I installed codecs, etc.
    d) This machine is brand new, has a core i5 processor and very good specs, but I found Ubuntu to be not as fast and snappy. I was thinking about putting a virtual machine Win 7 but now I have doubts about how fast that will run
    e) The laptop fan seems to be always running and the laptop is a bit hot
    f) Small glitches are still there: E.g., Auto-hide launcher is graphically useless, app icons sometimes disappear in dash

The list will probably expand a little as I go along, which means hours of trying to fix these problems. I'm with Ubuntu for now but I've also started thinking for the long-term that I might pick up Debian or Arch, and create a very stable rolling system that I tweak once and for all and use for years to come.

Beans

I'm using a Canon Pixma 4600 with 13.04 and don't have any issues with it. It was automatically recognized by the OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12