Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 on OSX MBP and external drive

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 on OSX MBP and external drive

Hi,

Im trying now for two days and tried everything and I cant boot to Ubuntu on external HD. On OSX Disk Utility I have created new partition on ext. HD and leave it as free space. Then I have downloaded Ubuntu desktop 13.04 and burn it on DVD. I restarted MBP and hold the "c" key to boot from DVD. Everything goes OK. I have installed Ubuntu on this free space partition (I have change it in installation process to ext4 partition type and to / as a mount point, about 250GB partition "/dev/sdb4"). I have also choose Device for boot loader installation" /dev/sdb4, so the same where installation is. I have also created a swap partition (around 10GB). Installation goes fine and everything is OK. Then I have booted to OSX and installed rEFInd which also was successfully. I have rebooted OSX and rEFInd menu appears and also a Linux partition. I have choose it and I get like "No operating system found" and also "There is no bootable device" (something like that). I have tried a lot of things and nothing works.

What Im doing wrong?

My MBP is MacBookPro8,2" and have OSX 10.8.4

Partitions on ext. HD:
    /dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS External 1TB 497.4 GB disk1s2
    3: Linux Swap 10.0 GB disk1s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data 242.4 GB disk1s4
    5: 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 134.2 MB disk1s99
    Last edited by coffeecat; July 19th, 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Default font for clarity

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 on OSX MBP and external drive

Anyone? :/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@LionRock, you posted in the Other OS/Distro Support forum which is for any OS except Ubuntu. I've moved your thread to the Apple Users forum which is for Ubuntu on Apple hardware where it is more likely to be seen by those who can help you. Good luck.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Hi,

Did you check in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046568 ? There is a part which might help you "I installed, but Ubuntu won't boot / says "no bootable devices" / has a blinking cursor!"

Beans

Also, there are firmware restrictions on certain models that don't allow for booting from devices connected via USB. More specifically, for some models (the MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mid 2011 and newer Macs mini, the Late 2012 iMac and all MacBooks Air) the firmware only allows for booting from external SuperDrives which require matching of other criteria specific to your device. Hope this helps.