Thread: Display message on remote computer via ssh

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Display message on remote computer via ssh

Hi,

We are switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu 12.04 but one of the scripts that we have written no longer works under Xubuntu.

Under Ubuntu at the terminal I can run the command 'who' and see the display number for each user.

The script would ssh into the machine and call another script. The script on the remote computer would get the display number from the who command and use yad to display a message (it exporting the display).

Under Ubuntu this works but running the who command on Xubuntu does not show the display numbers.

I've tried exporting :0. :1 etc... but I have a feeling that XFCE does things differently.

So does anyone know of a solution how can I display a message via ssh on a remote machine, or maybe something else to look at.
    Last edited by Azdour; July 19th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Display message on remote computer via ssh

Hi,

I think I have found a solution based on:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...t-open-display

I am using the xfdesktop process to look at its /proc/$pid/environ file for the DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY. Exporting both of this yad works and displays the message on the remote machine.

Now my question: is the xfdesktop the best process. I guess it is as the remote computers will all be running Xubuntu and graphically logged in. Any one have a better suggestion as to which process I should use?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Display message on remote computer via ssh

I'm going mark this thread as solved.