Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem "No root file system is defined" during installation process

Beans

Problem "No root file system is defined" during installation process

I have windows 7 (64 bit) installed in my laptop & want to use ubuntu 13.04 with it. So i tried installing it (through wubi i guess) which extracted all files & asked me to reboot the computer. When i rebooted the computer, it started checking for configuration and other details & then a pop up message appears saying that "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

What is the root file system? where is it defined? what is partitioning manager? how can i access it?

I have seen a similar problem in one of the thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=922331

I tried following the post mentioned in the third spot from the last. But i couldn't run that command. Is there any specific way to execute that command?

Or can i overcome this problem by any other method?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problem "No root file system is defined" during installation process

Moved to Installation & Upgrades forum.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you did try to install Ubuntu 13.04 with WUBI then you have a problem. The last time I read about it, WUBI did not support Ubuntu 13.04. WUBI does support Ubuntu 12.04. You may try to install Ubuntu 12.04 which is a Long Term Support release.

I would recommend a true dual-boot rather than WUBI in either case.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 17th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans

Can you please help me in the process of how to do true dual boot instead of using wubi?
    And there isn't any problem in true dual boot? I had heard earlier that if you perform dual boot, it might cause a problem when you try to uninstall either of them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

NO. There is no problem in true dual-boot. WUBI was meant for Windows Users to 'TRY Ubuntu' before doing a 'true dual-boot'.
    Wubi install inside windows is just like any software application you install and run in Windows. You can remove it from Windows using Add/Remove software or something similar.
    Since you tried installing then there is possiblity that you may have to remove it first from Windows, Here's a how to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Uninstallation

Does your HP have Windows8 or Windows7? Pre-installed? If you have pre-installed Win8 then you could be booting in UEFI mode. This needs a few extra steps compared to 'Legacy BIOS boot' mode.

A screen shot of your Hard Disk and its partitions taken from Windows Disk Management tool will help us help you.
    Download Ubuntu.iso and burn it to a USB/DVD. Boot with it and "Try Ubuntu without Installling", this will load Ubuntu, wait till the desktop is fully loaded. Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    ... then post the outputs here.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you got a "no root filesystem is defined" error with Wubi, you'll get it when you do the normal dual boot. That's an error from parted, which is used by ubiquity, the ubuntu installer.

Typically the problems are either some GPT metadata leftover on a disk that's now MBR formatted. Sometimes it can be an unsupported Raid or MBR partition table errors (like a partition that ends outside the disk). When you provide the results that fantab asked for it will become clear what the issue is.

PS It can't be a UEFI computer, or the Wubi install wouldn't have got that far.

Beans

Instead of burning into a dvd/pendrive, i tried rebooting the ubuntu image file through virtual disk using daemon tools. The computer booted normally and there isn't anything installed. Could there be any fault in the image file i have?
    Is booting through a virtual disk any different from booting through dvd/pendrive?
    And my hard disk and its partitions are as follows
    disk management.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!

I do not have experience with trying to install Ubuntu using a VHD. I don't know if many people on the forum do. I have googled the subject. It seems to be more complicated than following the instructions on the Ubuntu site for 12.04. Maybe you will get the answer you are looking for.

These are the Ubuntu instructions for installing Ubuntu 13.04.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 19th, 2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added 13.04 instructions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by akhil23uchil193 View Post
    Instead of burning into a dvd/pendrive, i tried rebooting the ubuntu image file through virtual disk using daemon tools. The computer booted normally and there isn't anything installed. Could there be any fault in the image file i have?
    Is booting through a virtual disk any different from booting through dvd/pendrive?
    It is possible that you have a bad download. Do a MD5Sum Check to find out.
    Look in your Windows 'C' partition or where ever your Windows System files are for:
    C:\ubuntu
    C:\wubildr*
    And remove them. For more see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Uninstallation

From Ubuntu Live DVD/USB post the output of the commands:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    sudo fdisk -l
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Sorry for the late reply, but i couldn't get a ubuntu disk. Today i got it & tried the commands given above. This are the screenshots of the outputs. I couldn't understand it properly but it says absence of partition table. Please advise me how to proceed.
    secondcommand.jpgfirstcommand.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast