Thread: SOLVED Thanks user name & password apt

Beans

SOLVED Thanks user name & password apt

In windows I have been using a free apt called roboform. Everytime I use a web site its added to my roboform profile and includes my user name and password for each website. visited.

I use robo form as my home page where it displays all the websites i use frequently. I click on the required website and I m able to enter immediately as the username and password have already been input by roboform.
    I can also enter particular pages on websites. For example Absolute beginners section on the Ubuntu forums.

Has Ubuntu got anything similar to this please. Having used Roboform for some time and never needed to think about user names or passwords, I have forgotten a lot of them now. I have looked in the software centre, and im not very good at guessing the names they would show under, so the ones i have tried appear to just hold the passwords.

Thanks
    Last edited by arranskye; July 18th, 2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: resolved

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: user name & password apt

i does not know how that roboform deal with security; but im translating it like : "open door" welcome page for all that want to glance/rob your browsing settings and private data. Quite scary to me.

http://aahank.com/2013/install-keepass-on-ubuntu/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@arranskye,

Have you seen THIS page ?
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arranskye View Post
    Has Ubuntu got anything similar to this please.
    Firefox has similar functionality. It can store web site usernames/passwords, and its history auto-completion and bookmarks are helpful in accessing sites that you visit frequently.

As noted above, storing usernames/passwords is a tradeoff of convenience vs. security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by arranskye View Post
    In windows I have been using a free apt called roboform. Everytime I use a web site its added to my roboform profile and includes my user name and password for each website. visited.

I use robo form as my home page where it displays all the websites i use frequently. I click on the required website and I m able to enter immediately as the username and password have already been input by roboform...
    For what is described, it really seems that that application is a fatal security flaw and very dangerous to have on one's system. Once a malicious online attacker has access to your personal information, your life is literally over.

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    +1
    If want/need an application in order to fill in forms on websites, I also recommend you KeePass. You can add the PPA to your system, that way every time you update your *buntu box it will also be updated:
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install keepass2

Beans

hi, Thanks for all your replies. I should have mentioned, in Roboform, a master password is required to open the profile and this can also be used to secure the username & password for any chosen website.

Thanks for the link VMC but I have taken your security issues on board and will install keepass using the terminal as this gives me some practice, so thanks for the instructions.

cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: SOLVED Thanks user name & password apt

One final thought. If you instead use keepassx, then you can use the same "keepassx.kdb" db file on both Windows and Linux - keepass and keepassx use different db's. Look into both before you decide. Read the differences between them found HERE.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3