Thread: Ubuntu (server): No network interface

Beans

Ubuntu (server): No network interface

I got a VPS from weloveservers.net yesterday, and it cannot ping any IP address, and I cannot use the apt-get and wget commands. After trying to figure out the problem for a while, I found that the network interfaces eth0 and eth1 are not configured. To make matters worse, bash cannot find the 'auto' command. I looked online and found that you mey need to edit /etc/network/interfaces or something, but there is an error saying that "Permission is denied" when I try entering '/etc/network/interfaces' into the remote console. I have full root access. It seems that the VPS provider installed something other than default Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit. For all I know, I may have Ubuntu Server installed, or some crazy, unheard-of OS. So is there a way to configure the eth0/eth1 network interface properly? If you're wondering how I can access the remote console, I think that the control panel program directly communicates with the server.

EDIT: The precise version of the OS is Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.
    Last edited by hammereditor; July 17th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu (server): No network interface

As root open the file with nano:
    Code:
    nano /etc/network/interfaces
    Close with CTRL+X. Check your system via:
    Code:
    uname -a
    lsb_release -a
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

Beans

Strangely, bash says the 'nano' command is unavailable. And, of course, there is no GUI installed.
    Also, the OS is Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.
    Last edited by hammereditor; July 17th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Reboot and press the SHIFT button until you reach the grub2 bootloader. Choose the "recovery mode" then, and there "network configuration" and "root console". Install the tool:
    Code:
    apt-get install nano
    exit

Beans

1. Since there is no network interface, I cannot use the 'apt-get install' command.
    2. For some strange reason, there isn't a GUI and a desktop manager isn't installed.
    3. This is a virtual private server from a company, and there is no way I can access the boot loader.