Thread: Accessing file server from outside of my home network.

Beans

Accessing file server from outside of my home network.

I have a samba file server that I set up at my house. I am able to access it from my internal network, and it works fine. I have ports 139 and 445 forwarding to my server, and everything has a static ip address. I am using the newest version of lubuntu, and I am also using webmin to manage my server because it's easier than the actual lubuntu UI. I need to be able to access this file server from outside my network; from anywhere over the internet. I do not want it password protected, (It wouldn't be a problem if it has to be) and I want anyone anywhere to be able to access it. I am not very experienced in linux at all. I managed to set up the samba server using webmin and lots and lots of forums, but now I'm stuck.

Any ideas on how I could get it working, or any alternatives that would achieve the same desired result?

(Edit: I am at work right now, so I will reply later.)
    Last edited by TheInfamousAlk; July 16th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

Re: I need help accessing my file server from outside of my home network.

FTP is easy for anonymous downloads: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...tp-server.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Forget samba over the Internet. It's way too insecure.

Install openssh-server on your server, then forward some arbitrary high port (>1023) on your router back to port 22 (SSH) on your server. Suppose the port is 22222. Now you have a number of options available to you.

On Windows machines, use WinSCP.

On Linux machines, use the "fish" protocol. Enter a URL like "fish://username@server.example.com:22222/" in a file manager like Nautilus or Dolphin. You should see the remote's directory appear after you enter username's password. You will then have all the rights available to "username". Alternatively, you can permanently mount the remote to the list in /etc/fstab using the sshfs protocol.

Android phones have SSH, SFTP and SCP clients as well. Some of them like AndFTP require you spend $2-5 to buy the "pro" versions to use SCP.

If you let everyone and his brother upload and download files from your server like you suggested, it will eventually be discovered and turned into a site to share illicit files. You don't want to see the FBI at your door asking about those pictures of children engaged in indecent acts that they discovered on your server.

If you want to distribute files to the public, use a web server.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 16th, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousAlk View Post
    I have a samba file server that I set up at my house. I am able to access it from my internal network, and it works fine. I have ports 139 and 445 forwarding to my server, and everything has a static ip address. I am using the newest version of lubuntu, and I am also using webmin to manage my server because it's easier than the actual lubuntu UI. I need to be able to access this file server from outside my network; from anywhere over the internet. I do not want it password protected, (It wouldn't be a problem if it has to be) and I want anyone anywhere to be able to access it. I am not very experienced in linux at all. I managed to set up the samba server using webmin and lots and lots of forums, but now I'm stuck.

Any ideas on how I could get it working, or any alternatives that would achieve the same desired result?

(Edit: I am at work right now, so I will reply later.)
    You have two options:

1.) Access your files via SFTP (using Filezilla, https://filezilla-project.org/, or other FTP client reference above)
    2.) Access your files via SSHFS (http://code.google.com/p/win-sshfs/)

Both of these options will require a password. I think option two will work better for you as it will show up as a "drive" like you are used to. All of this is assuming that you have a SSH server set up. If you would like any clarification on anything that I have said please do let me know. I know that it is hard to take in everything that people are suggesting.

Bottom line, SSHFS is the way to go (short of setting up a VPN server).

Beans

Thanks! I will try setting up an ssh server when I get home.

Beans

Good luck. Ubuntu makes it really easy to build a ssh server. The hard part is figuring out permissions once you gain access via SSH.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Accessing file server from outside of my home network.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousAlk View Post
    Thanks! I will try setting up an ssh server when I get home.
    Check out this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...sh-server.html

There are also links that give information on how to secure it.

Quote Originally Posted by schnappi2 View Post
    Good luck. Ubuntu makes it really easy to build a ssh server. The hard part is figuring out permissions once you gain access via SSH.
    Agreed. It's one of those services that is pretty much dead simple to install/setup on any flavor of *nix.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Accessing file server from outside of my home network.

Install open-ssh-server on the server machine.
    And then you can use FileZilla anywhere on the internet to access your file server.
    All done.

Security, firewall, etc. that's another problem
    The Philippine Team
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe.