Thread: Ubuntu Touch core apps and Ubuntu Desktop/Legacy core apps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Ubuntu Touch core apps and Ubuntu Desktop/Legacy core apps...

Could someone enlighten me on this (I may not have done my homework and read enough on the Interweb on this matter); where is Ubuntu heading with core apps?

Traditionally Ubuntu has in its desktop incarnations contained a set of default core apps like Rhytmbox, Shotwell, Movie Player, etc. - all being part of the integrated platform experience and well supported e.g. with Unity lenses.

I have been using Shotwell extensively and have a huge base of photos managed by Shotwell (tags, events, image adjustments, etc). By using Shotwell I expect the tool to be fairly well supported over time and not to be abandoned abruptly.

My concern is of course rooted in the momentum and pace at which the Gallery app (and others) for Ubuntu Touch is now being developed, potentially taking away focus/support from Desktop/Legacy core apps and I fear suddenly being forced to migrate in a cumbersome process.

So, will the Ubuntu touch core apps eventually in an Ubuntu converged replace the traditional desktop core/default apps like Shotwell (in this case)? Has there been any communication on core apps strategy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Touch core apps and Ubuntu Desktop/Legacy core apps...

Quote Originally Posted by Z80A View Post
    I have been using Shotwell extensively and have a huge base of photos managed by Shotwell (tags, events, image adjustments, etc). By using Shotwell I expect the tool to be fairly well supported over time and not to be abandoned abruptly.
    In that case, can I suggest making a donation? We can't continue developing Shotwell without financial support from our users!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Touch core apps and Ubuntu Desktop/Legacy core apps...

Quote Originally Posted by eric-yorba View Post
    In that case, can I suggest making a donation? We can't continue developing Shotwell without financial support from our users!
    Eric, good to see you here! As for the donation; consider it done (a few minuttes ago through PayPal) - should have done so long time ago. Could you make the donation anonymous or just list it by my Ubuntuforums.org name Z80A (could not find any PayPal field)?

Poor choice of wording above may have appeared a bit hard on Yorba, and that was not the intention at all. "...I expect..." was meant towards the Ubuntu distribution and the stability/choice of the Ubuntu core apps portfolio.

Again, back to Ubuntu core apps; do you have any indication on what the Ubuntu strategy will be on these?

As for the Gallery app, I doubt that it will turn out to offer a Digital Asset Management feature-set making it a viable Linux alternative to e.g. Adobe Lightroom. As such Shotwell is much better suited - even though I could easily think of a few additional features...

By the way, a have a few translation tweaks for Shotwell, but I will try submit them through Transifex.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Z80A View Post
    Eric, good to see you here! As for the donation; consider it done (a few minuttes ago through PayPal) - should have done so long time ago. Could you make the donation anonymous or just list it by my Ubuntuforums.org name Z80A (could not find any PayPal field)?
    I don't think there's a way to make PayPal donations anonymous, unfortunately. We do accept Bitcoin, which is about as anonymous as it gets.

Poor choice of wording above may have appeared a bit hard on Yorba, and that was not the intention at all. "...I expect..." was meant towards the Ubuntu distribution and the stability/choice of the Ubuntu core apps portfolio.

Again, back to Ubuntu core apps; do you have any indication on what the Ubuntu strategy will be on these?
    Sure... I mean, it's up to Canonical to decide which apps are the default in their OS. We don't have much insight into this. But that said, I'd be surprised if Shotwell was removed from the repositories entirely; after all F-Spot, Evolution, and Banshee are still available even though they're no longer the defaults.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My concern is of course rooted in the momentum and pace at which the Gallery app (and others) for Ubuntu Touch is now being developed, potentially taking away focus/support from Desktop/Legacy core apps and I fear suddenly being forced to migrate in a cumbersome process.
    I do not see the validity of that statement. As we know Canonical cannot claim credit for applications such as Shotwell. So, I do not see how Canonical's focus on a set of core applications for a phone/tablet device would in any way reduce or limit the development and support for applications like Shotwell.

Your comments come under the category of FUD as far as I am concerned.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I do not see the validity of that statement. As we know Canonical cannot claim credit for applications such as Shotwell. So, I do not see how Canonical's focus on a set of core applications for a phone/tablet device would in any way reduce or limit the development and support for applications like Shotwell.

Your comments come under the category of FUD as far as I am concerned.
    No, there's some truth to this -- if enough distros drop Shotwell as the default photo manager for Ubuntu Gallery, GNOME Photos, etc., would enough users still be willing to support us? It seems unlikely.