Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the 21 GB Partition When Installing Ubuntu?

Beans

Why the 21 GB Partition When Installing Ubuntu?

I just read the thread How To Create /home Partition When Installing Ubuntu? at this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1917137 .

I read the Gparted tutorial and even watched a couple of videos about using Gparted. These resources gave good information but I don't understand some things.

First of all why does Ubuntu create a 21 GB file and one that takes up the remaining space of my hard drive? I have a 320 GB hard drive.

In the Gparted instructions it mentions that all Ubuntu Live CDs have Gparted already installed. One should just select the advanced button to set up partitions. In the thread about installing Ubuntu a forum poster says it is better to set up partitions ahead of time using a Gparted Live CD. Isn't using the Ubuntu Live CD in the advanced mode doing the same thing?

I would like to know how to label my partitions. One tutorial says to use only primary partitions if I'm creating four or less. Gparted says for Linux it can all be done on extended logical partitions. One person in the thread suggests using at least four partitions but doesn't recommend any type. Why should the root (/) be separated from the (/home) partition? I'll need to create one for the boot but really don't know the sizes I should make for any of these. I don't even know the size of the Ubuntu 13.04 OS. I probably should make the boot one a bit bigger than the actual size because if I keep updating the OS it probably will need more space right?

Here is what I want to do with my Ubuntu only installation on my HP computer with an AMD 2.3 GB Sempron LE 1300, 2 GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive; I intend to mostly stream video and create videos using several video applications. I'll use either Libre Office or Open Office to make presentations with lots of slides. I'll be using Audacity to combine separate audio feeds into my videos. I'll also sometimes be using a screen capture program in my productions.

How many partitions would be optimum and at what sizes? In one post someone suggested that at least one partition should be used to double the RAM. How does that work?

I'm open to suggestions and ready to go. How many do I need? What sizes should they be? What should I name them? If I should use a separate Gparted Live CD to prepare the hard drive instead of the one built into the Live CD (I'm using an Ubuntu Live USB) why should I do it that way? What is the difference?

Thank you.

Smallwheels
    Last edited by Smallwheels; July 16th, 2013 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Why the 21 GB Partition When Installing Ubuntu?

Hi Smallwheels .

If you wish to install "only" ubuntu, simply choose

use entire drive
    or what it says.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

If I am not mistaken SmallWheels, you want only Ubuntu on your system, hence just select 'erase disk & install Ubuntu'

This page lists graphical installation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

These two pages give details for partitioning in Ubuntu installation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...tallation\b%29
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...tallation\b%29

and this page lists all help regarding 'Category Installation'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CategoryInstallation

I have found sticking to help.ubuntu.com for these issues are beneficial....
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

For partitioning Schemes this page lists down & explains it quiet well:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PartitioningSchemes
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Yes I intend to use the whole drive for Ubuntu because I WON'T EVER USE A MICROSOFT OS AGAIN! OK maybe that was a bit of an outburst but I really hate that compay since Vista. I have no intention of dual booting with another GNU/Linux distribution because I like to find something that works and then get to work.

I recently moved and before the move I wanted to backup all of my machines just in case they got damaged in the move. When I went to backup the files in Vista it wouldn't boot. That was my last straw with Microsoft. From now on I will be free of that company. Maybe some of you feel the same way.

Anybody willing to give explicit answers to my questions please do reply. I've been sent to tutorials and threads with information in the past. What I find is that I learn things but rarely are all of my questions answered. I'll look at the information at the links provided but I'd also like for direct answers to my questions, especially how to increase my RAMs ability to do its job using another partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

no need for extra partitions. as mentioned just select to use the whole drive and installer will create necessary partitions for you. same thing happens if you install to free disk area.

what you talk about - ram increase - is the so called swap partition (/swap). it is like pagefile in windows. basically when you run out of RAM hard disk is then used. ofcourse disk is A LOT slower than ram so this slows down the whole OS. however it may come in handy in some cases. especially when you run out of ram again this part is created automaticly if you use the whole disk to install the OS.

i am not sure about 21GB file. are you using wubi to install it? that would be the wrong way to do it.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Yes and I use the same name across forums. I was trying Open SUSE and it was coming along. Then I found the video about Novell partnering with Microsoft and that was it for me. We're entitled to our opinions and my opinion of Microsoft is that it is an unethical company that stole money and time from millions of people around the world. They knew Vista was garbage yet they put it out there as a finished product. I know I'm not the only one who now hates them and doesn't want to use their software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post
    Yes and I use the same name across forums. I was trying Open SUSE and it was coming along. Then I found the video about Novell partnering with Microsoft and that was it for me. We're entitled to our opinions and my opinion of Microsoft is that it is an unethical company that stole money and time from millions of people around the world. They knew Vista was garbage yet they put it out there as a finished product. I know I'm not the only one who now hates them and doesn't want to use their software.
    I'd suggest you let us see a screen of your partitions
    Because openSUSE defaults to a separate /home partition. Ubuntu does not.
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vista is not bad, I prefer it to 8.

Installing Ubuntu is as lot easier than you think. Don't worry about manual partitioning, just tell the Ubuntu installer to use the whole disk. It will create a partition for files and the operating system, and a second partition for swap. This will all be fine without any need for adjustment. It's that easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast