Thread: Cant Play Music or Video Files

Beans

Lightbulb Cant Play Music or Video Files

Hey guys whats up. I just installed Ubuntu 13.04 like a month ago and since then my windows took a complete dump on me so im forced to use Ubuntu now. NOT A BAD THING! haha Im just a complete noob to it all. To the issue! So I have ubuntu on one hard drive and Win7 on the other and i can no longer access win 7 due to boot errors and such but i can still access Ubuntu. GREAT! Here lies the problem when i go to access the files on my hard drive that has windows on it i can see everything and copy it all over to my Ubuntu hard drive. When i do this i can view pictures and everything but i can not play music in any format or watch videos. I installed VLC and have Rythmbox but neither of them are working. I tried to install Ubuntu-restricted-extras and it still is not working. Im not completely sure as what to do to get them to work. The videos open up to the first frame and music will open up but the time says 0:00/0:00 for both... Pleas help! remember im a COMPLETE noob when it comes to Ubuntu so be gentle I am pretty computer literate and learn quickly so yea.. PS THANKS FOR THE HELP FORUM!

Beans

Re: Cant Play Music or Video Files

So can you play music that is on the Ubuntu drive but has not come from the Windows drive?

Beans

im now having sound issues in general but the music i copy over from the windows drive isnt playing at all. all it does is open up VLC or Rythmbox

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MindlessDude View Post
    im now having sound issues in general but the music i copy over from the windows drive isnt playing at all. all it does is open up VLC or Rythmbox
    Does any music in Ubuntu that has NOT been copied over play?
    Are the music files from Windows mp3 files?

Beans

Any music copied over wont play. Any format. And i just got Youtube and other music working again so yes that all works its just when i try moving over music from the W7 drive or play straight from it it just sits there idol or has the first frame for videos.

Beans

Ok i just restarted my computer like 4 times and somehow it fixed itself..... Not quite sure what i did XD but thanks so much for trying to help Really makes me feel better knowing people are willing to help a noob like me

Beans

Well, your codecs are ok then. If the transfers are ordinary mp3s, the ones you tried could unfortunately have be corrupted on the other drive. I had one file behave in a similar way (would not start play) and I assume it was somehow corrupted. Hope you have backups.

Beans

No i think it was the codecs and once i restarted and did a couple things with Alsamixer i think it turned out fine... meh... but thank you