Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
In answer to the title, if you use all available space for persistence , you will not be able to use the drive to move files to/from a windows machine. For drives larger than 8GB you would need to use a persistent partition as max size of the persistence file, (casper-rw), is 4GB, (being FAT32).

If you have installed Ubuntu to USB using Startup Disk Creator, (from the Live CD), or UNetbootin, using the extra space options you should be able to install Java in the normal manner.
See:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...ntu-12-04.html
Thanks for your help. I set it to maximum size persistence available (just over 1gb I think), because I figured I use DropBox for everything anyway, so what's the difference? I'll probably get a larger usb drive at some point for the purpose you mentioned.

I finally did get Java working, it was just a matter of adding the right packages in Synaptic Package Manager (derp). Not sure which ones finally did the trick, lol, but I tested it and my screenshare works, so I can use this live usb for work, which was my original purpose.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the practical difference between a live usb with persistence and a full install - can you break it down for me in super-noob terms? I'm comfortable with computers in general and would consider myself a "power-user" in Windows, but I'm so new to Linux that I don't think I have a full context to grasp what you're saying.

Is it as simple as with a live usb the entire OS is running in RAM, whereas with a full install it will be running directly from the usb drive?? Again, thanks for your patience! This is a great forum, and at the risk of invoking Murphy's Law, I haven't once been yelled at to search, even though I'm sure this has been covered before. (I did search, just couldn't find an answer I could understand)

Also, what exactly is the difference between UNetBootin and Universal USB Installer? Or are they just different programs that do essentially the same thing?

Thanks again!