Thread: Bash script help needed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bash script help needed

I've written a bash script to help me encode some video files in order to standardize my video library. I'm using both mediainfo and handbrake cli in my script in order to achieve this. I'm currently having one issue that given my limited work with bash is causing me some problems. I have two basic paths for the program to take based on the input file.

1. Is it a regular file, i.e. /path/to/file/blah.avi

2. Is it a directory with files in it, i.e. /path/to/season/Futurama/s1e1.avi, /path/to/season/Futurama/s1e2.avi

The issue I am having is with the directory case. Below is my code to kick off the process based on file input. The script correctly identifies whether the input file is a regular file or a directory, but it only runs the rest of the script one time for one .avi file that it finds. The script should be looking for ALL avi files in the directory and running the script for each one. I have run the 'find' command outside of my script and it works properly, so I'm not sure why it isn't looping properly when it is in a script. Let me know if you see something incorrect. TIA.

This is the part of the script causing the issue. If you need the rest let me know, but everything else seems to be working.

Code:

main () {
      inputFile="$input"

if [[ -d "$inputFile" ]]; then
        CUR_TIME=`date +"%m-%d-%y %T"`
        echo "$CUR_TIME - Running in Directory Mode .." >> $LOG_FILE
        echo "$CUR_TIME - Directory location - $inputFile .." >> $LOG_FILE

find "$inputFile" -depth -iname "*.mkv" -o -iname "*.avi" -o -iname "*.mp4" | while read temp

do
          curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Started - $temp" -d "&description=Directory mode" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
          echo "$CUR_TIME - Input file path $temp .." >> $LOG_FILE 
          runHandbrake $temp
        done
      else
        echo "$CUR_TIME - Running in File Mode .." >> $LOG_FILE
        curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Started - $inputFile" -d "&description=File mode" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
        echo "$CUR_TIME - Input file path $inputFile .." >> $LOG_FILE
        runHandbrake $inputFile
      fi
    }

main
    if [[ "$?" -ne 0 ]]; then
      temp="$input"

fileName=$(basename "$temp") 
      extension="${fileName##*.}"
      fileName="${fileName%.*}"

curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Error - $fileName.mkv" -d "&description=$CUR_TIME - Error Code $?" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
    else 
      temp="$input"

fileName=$(basename "$temp") 
      extension="${fileName##*.}"
      fileName="${fileName%.*}"

curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Completed - $fileName.mkv" -d "&description=" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
    fi
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Bash script help needed

Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    it only runs the rest of the script one time for one .avi file that it finds
    Naturally I'd assume that the else ... fi is getting executed for some reason. Add set -x (somewhere before the problematic part) to get trace log. You'll see what evaluates to what then.

The script itself looks OK but there are some minor issues. runHandbrake $temp can potentially break because $temp isn't protected with double quotes. And instead of find ... | while read temp you should use something like
    Code:
    find ... -print0 | while read -r -d $'\0' temp; do
    done
    Last edited by prodigy_; July 15th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Naturally I'd assume that the else ... fi is getting executed for some reason. Add set -x (somewhere before the problematic part) to get trace log. You'll see what evaluates to what then.
    Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the else ... if that is used here?

Code:
    if [[ -d "$inputFile" ]]; then
    else
    fi
    Asus
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Yeah. If you meant the part that goes after you call main, then of course it only gets executed once - you don't have any loop there.

Beans
    Distro

Right. So, based on my logs I can see that it is correctly identifying the directory and not going into the 'else' part of that switch. The problem looks to be in the find | while loop. Could you explain your edit a bit more and I will test your changes out. Also, I have added the "" around the parameter that you had suggested.
    Asus
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Code:
    find ... -print0 | while read -r -d $'\0' temp; do
    done
    Code:
    while read -r -d $'\0' temp; do
    done < <( find ... -print0 )
    would be another way to do it, imho more readable because while read is not crammed together with a potentially very long command in a single line

Backticks `` are considered deprecated and $() should be used instead (CUR_TIME=`...`).

basename can be easily achieved without spawning external process with ${fullpath##*/}

All caps variable names seen frequently in scripts are a bad idea, you risk overriding some env variable (env variables are all caps by convention) and then trying to figure out why the script doesn't work. I've seen a guy use PATH and wonder why grep, ls and dozen of other commands he tried to use returned 'command not found'. At least 1 lowercase char and you are golden.

always quote variables, you have nothing to gain from leaving them dangling in the open except bugs caused by whitespace.
    Last edited by Vaphell; July 15th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have changed the script and will be able to test later tonight and report back.
    Asus
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans
    Distro

I have made most of the suggestions that were listed here and I'm still having issues, so I'm assuming that the issue is further on in my script. I'm not going to post the whole thing, but will hopefully post the part where I think the issue is happening. From the 'main' method I'm calling another function that inspects the media file using mediainfo and basically creates a list of parameters to use with Handbrake cli. These parameters are all being created properly as I can see from the logs AND also Handbrake cli is being called correctly as it is logging and generating the correct output file. The problem is that after the Handbrake command runs (in the case of a directory being added), the program never returns to the calling loop (pasted below, with mofications based on the responses).

Code:
    main() {

find "$inputFile" -depth -iname "*.mkv" -o -iname "*.avi" -o -iname "*.mp4" -print0 | while read -r -d $'\0' temp; do
          curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Started - $temp" -d "&description=Directory mode" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
          CUR_TIME=$(date +"%m-%d-%y %T")
          echo "$CUR_TIME - Input file path $temp .." >> $LOG_FILE 
          runHandbrake "$temp"

path="${temp##*/}"
    	fileName="${path%%.*}"

curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Error - $fileName.mkv" -d "&description=Error Code $?" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
          else 
            path="${temp##*/}"
            fileName="${path%%.*}"

curl -s -d "apikey=$NMA_KEY" -d "&application=Video Encode" -d "&event=Completed - $fileName.mkv" -d "&description=" https://www.notifymyandroid.com/publicapi/notify
          fi
        done
    }
    And here's is the snippet of 'runHandbrake' function that is being called, which I believe is causing the issue. The question is after I call Handbrake at the end of this function why isn't it the code continuing to loop through the rest of the .mkv, .avi or .mp4 files in the directory? TIA.

Code:
    runHandbrake() {

CUR_TIME=$(date +"%m-%d-%y %T")
      echo "$CUR_TIME - Handbrake options .." >> $LOG_FILE
      echo "$CUR_TIME - -v -i $inputFile -o $OUTPUT_FILE -f $OUTPUT_FORMAT -e $VIDEO_FORMAT -r $FRAMERATE --cfr -q $QUALITY $AUDIO_TRACKS $AUDIO_CODEC $AUDIO_BIT $AUDIO_MIX --decomb --strict-anamorphic --display-width $WIDTH --keep-display-aspect --crop --loose-crop $SUB_OPTIONS" &>> $LOG_FILE

HandBrakeCLI -v -i "$inputFile" -o "$OUTPUT_FILE" -f "$OUTPUT_FORMAT" -e "$VIDEO_FORMAT" -r "$FRAMERATE" --cfr -q "$QUALITY" $AUDIO_TRACKS $AUDIO_CODEC $AUDIO_BIT $AUDIO_MIX --decomb --strict-anamorphic --display-width "$WIDTH" --keep-display-aspect --crop --loose-crop "$SUB_OPTIONS" &>> $LOG_FILE
        echo "$CUR_TIME - Error executing Handbrake. Error Code $? .." >> $LOG_FILE
        exit "$?"
      fi
    }
    Last edited by prem1er; July 16th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Asus
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    [...]
    These parameters are all being created properly as I can see from the logs AND also Handbrake cli is being called correctly as it is logging and generating the correct output file. The problem is that after the Handbrake command runs (in the case of a directory being added), the program never returns to the calling loop (pasted below, with mofications based on the responses).

[...]

And here's is the snippet of 'runHandbrake' function that is being called, which I believe is causing the issue. The question is after I call Handbrake at the end of this function why isn't it the code continuing to loop through the rest of the .mkv, .avi or .mp4 files in the directory? TIA.

[...]
    What's happening here is that in a while loop, HandBrakeCLI is reading from stdin, consuming all the arguments at once. Some other commands such as ffmpeg, ssh+command ... in a while loop, display the same problematic behavior. One common trick to prevent this, is to redirect HandBrakeCLI's stdin to /dev/null:

Code:
    HandBrakeCLI -v -i "$inputFile" -o [ ... ] --loose-crop "$SUB_OPTIONS" < /dev/null &>> $Log_file
    Check this thread for a similar case and an explanation:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1835021

--
    As a side note and adding to the other posters' advices, you need to group the test options (-iname) in find's statement, to have the correct output:
    Code:
    find "$inputFile" -depth \( -iname "*.mkv" -o -iname "*.avi" -o -iname "*.mp4" \) -print0
    Last edited by erind; July 16th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everyone for the help it is working like a charm.
    Asus
    Atheros AR928X Wireless