Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please support GIMP Crowdfunding proposal. (KICKSTARTER or similar)

Beans

Please support GIMP Crowdfunding proposal. (KICKSTARTER or similar)

Hello everyone at UBUNTU forums

Just like you I am a fan of free and opensource software and specially GIMP (becuase I am an artist).

However as much as GIMP is my favorite program I must admit that it is at a great disadvantage with similar but comercial software that have more money and manpower becuase they are comercial for example Paint tool sai, Corel painter, photoshop etc... and even fellow opensource KRITA (wich is being funded by a company).

While GIMP is made by talented and passionate professionals that work pro-bono in the name of free source. They already have jobs they neeed and ergo they can't focus as much as they wanted on GIMP

My proposal is to convince the GIMP developers to create a crowdfunding proyect in order to improve The Gimp faster by giving them the money to get the resources and the manpower they need. The sad truth is that many professional artist do not consider GIMP as a real alternative to commercial and closeted software like photoshop.I strongly believe that we can change that. Even worse is the fact that commercial alternatives are very expensive for example adobe's creative cloud which is US $49.99
    per month!.

We all could help them achive their long term goals faster by giving them the nessesary resources. Some crowdfunding efforts for indie games have reached millions. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fine-adventure If we can help random indie games why not the Gimp?

GIMP is something we all use and we all benefit as artists and I honestly believe we could raise at the very least 1 million dollars to help not just them but helping advancing the opensource ideal by showing that cooperation can surpass corporations.

HOW can I HELP?

1.- You can tell the developers directly that you would be willing to support them

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-...tarter-proyect
    2.-Please sign the pettion here to let the GIMP TEAM that we want to help funding them:
    http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp...mp-kickstarter

---FAQ---
    Q.-But we can donate already
    A.- Yes but donations aren't constant not big enough. They are obviously sacrificing time becuase they are random and inconsistent.
    They are just a"maybe" and people hardly give money to "maybes". With a concrete goal people would be willing to donate much more as it has already happened.

Q.-Would people actually pay?
    A A not popular not advertised corwdfunding raised $1645 just to fix a feature.http://www.freedomsponsors.org/core/...nd-warp-images

Q.-Why don't you do it yourself?
    A.-According to kickstarter rules only the developers can raise the money.

Q.-Doesn't it betray the open source philosophy?
    A.- On the contrary we are showing corporations that cooperation between developers and non developers is the future.
    Krita and Openshot (two open source have considered/used corwdfunding without stopping being open source)

Q.-Games are easy But Has it happened succesfully before for opensource?
    A.-Glad you ask, Of course see openshot http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...x/posts/441132
    Krita is also considering it http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=110973

Q.-But isn't kikcstarter only for comercial software?
    A.-see above

Q. I don't like kickstarter
    A.-That's alright we have altenrative crowdfunding sites just for open source
    http://www.techdrivein.com/2012/12/t...-software.html

Q.-Gimp would become a "photoshop clone"!
    A.- Gimp is it's own and wonderful thing as confirmed by the developers.

Q.-Gimp would become a feature monster
    A.- Improvement doesn't mean more features. Take a look at autodesk's sketchbook pro. It has had a lot of improvements and yet is still very easy to use/simple

Q.-Why not using my money for commercial software instead?
    A.- You are not only helping freedom and also stopping piracy but also you are getting software that will be free forever. Take Adobe's CC for example. The day you aren't able to pay anymore that they you won't be able to use their software.

Q.-They don't need our help
    A Did you know that between gimo 2.6 and gimp 2.8 we had to wait 4 years?.
    Last edited by FallenLegend; July 15th, 2013 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

Re: Please support GIMP Crowdfunding proposal. (KICKSTARTER or similar)

actually this is a good idea, but more then just the gimp needs the attention.

Beans

I pretty much just created an account to comment that I like this idea.
    I have been using GIMP since I was 11, around seven years ago and it is the only art program I have stuck through with every switch of a computer. I primarily use Windows but I've been interested in seeing mobile tablet support for programs like GIMP (My favorite manipulator) and Krita (A very strong art program).

I would be glad to atleast raise awareness and donate money for the assistance and pleasure the program gave me for many years, especially if it would go to improving GIMP.
    However, I think a million would be too big of a goal to reach for considering competition and people wondering 'why fund this when I can go get a creative suite?'. Perhaps around $50-100,000 would be a nicer, reachable goal should they give features and nice rewards for funders.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I personally would be more than glad to contribute to any kickstarter campaign involving Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, etc...

Although I'm not sure if Kickstarter takes paypal... Paypal support is a must! Indiegogo is a good alternative to Kickstarter!
    Last edited by Dry Lips; July 15th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

One of the devs is doing a crowdfunder to add mirror painting. If this is a sucess I image there will be more in the future.
    http://girinstud.io/news/2013/09/cro...medium=twitter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would support GIMP in a heartbeat. I do not have a lot to give but would be more than happy to give some money!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Its a great idea but tbh i think that there is a class one priority for design professionals. And that is a native way to handle spot colors on a proper software. The best softwares i ever worked (vector design) where Freehand and Corel. Well, you have Inkscape, a software with the smooth workflow of Corel Draw and the simplicity of Freehand. The only problem is that you cant use it professionally as a native solution - no spot colors support. I think the funding should start in here. Without this compatibility designers will stay on windows.

Beans
    Distro

TAKE MY MONEY!

I have used gimp extensively in the past few years. I would definitely put down money for a kickstarter/indiegogo. As long as they get their priorities down and keep their project from bloating (which I've seen a lot of kickstarters do), I'd be excited to see what gimp could become.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 2oomorrow View Post
    TAKE MY MONEY!

I have used gimp extensively in the past few years. I would definitely put down money for a kickstarter/indiegogo. As long as they get their priorities down and keep their project from bloating (which I've seen a lot of kickstarters do), I'd be excited to see what gimp could become.
    http://www.gimp.org/donating/
    Warning: unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    That makes it easy. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast