Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus U38N

Beans

Asus U38N

Hey, I recently bought this officially no-notebook. It's got pretty neat specifications for its price and as I selected it for its 1080p vivid screen with IPS, I still think I struck a pretty good bargain. Problem however is that I can't seem to properly install Ubuntu as a second boot. I managed to make a slight mistake with the location for Grub and now all I get is the grub command line. I was going to fix that by simply repartitioning and reinstalling, but I am not getting any graphics after the first boot of any installation image.
    The problem is probably in the graphics being provided by an AMD A8-4555m and the problem consists of loading an installation/live image onto a USB-stick (I tried 12.04 through 13.04 and daily live, all 64 bit) and then only the first time it would show me graphics and after that, whatever image I take, it would not show me any graphics anymore, so I managed to install from the live image, but after that haven't seen a thing but the backlight. I can actually hear the live image reaching the desktop, but can't see a thing. After that I tried a Kubuntu live image and I actually did see the whole boot process and live desktop, but after rebooting, again no graphics, no matter what image I used.
    So I am wondering, does anyone know how to get graphics on the live image working on this APU?

Beans

Re: Asus U38N

Same laptop, same issue here. Went through blood and tears but unable to fix it. Even installation process throws random errors, even with several different bootable USBs or distros.

However, I am able to run Live Xubuntu on it (after several reboots). This reply message has been sent from the Live session.

Beans

Xubuntu wouldn't hurt either, thanks for the reply.
    Are you able to consistently boot into the live image, or was it a one-shot only?

From another website I got the hint that it might be this laptop requires the closed source drivers for the graphics, whereas if not equipped with that it should fall back to basic drivers but it doesn't. Solution would then be to boot into the command line and through vi edit the x.org settings. Or, I just remind myself, get a live image running and edit the x.org files through there. Hmm, long shot that, but wish me luck trying Lubuntu and/or Xubuntu.

Beans

I am not able to load Live image consistently. Maybe every 3rd or 5th time it gets me there.

There is clearly a graphical issue because system loads all the way to login screen (ubuntu login screen sound) but there is nothing to see... :@

X.org is a good point. Will execute this later today and let you know.

Beans

Okay, I have managed to fix it and it was very simple - for short period of time. The only thing you have to do is in BIOS: ensure the BIOS launches CSM (make it enabled) and make sure secure boot is disabled, save changes and install Linux distribution. My understanding is that many ASUS VIVOBOOK needs to have CSM enabled in BIOS otherwise screen might/will not turn on.

After I restarted the laptop, it came back to the same state... I am trying Live session right now and go through the logs, perhaps I will be able to see what has happened.

Now I have tried replacing litedm with gdm but that failed because gdm is not available in software repository.

After another trial through blood and tears I have managed to get to command line as root but it has been mounted as 'read-only' so it is useless... After failing to make any x.org changes under command line I have rebooted the machine. It beautifully loaded to fully installed Ubuntu, so from there I have changed litedm to gdm, rebooted the laptop and same old all over... Blank screen!

I have no idea what can be done next. Even ASUS techies said that this might work or might not as it was specifically designed for Windows 8 and ASUS's touchscreen to be run on Windows 8... It is clearly an intermittent issues with the hardware.
    Last edited by Erikas; July 15th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Your remark about "the screen" made me realize there are more ways out of this laptop. I just hooked it up through the HDMI port to my television and consistently managed to boot into a graphics environment, eventhough completely garbled all the time, and with massive resolution issues. So I hooked it up with an old VGA monitor through the mini VGA adapter, but then after the Ubuntu loading screen the laptop screen took preference all the time and the external screen went into power saving mode.

And now, I just plugged it into my PC screen's DVI connection and I landed straight into the 2D desktop perfectly fine. I have to add here that everytime the backlight of the laptop's screen was on and above all, the touchscreen functions fine as well. So it just seems that the APU does not see the screen properly in some way.

Beans

I have thought the same that it is a compatibility issue with AMD chip. It seems as if Linux trying to load drivers from the location which is not compatible to this specific hardware.

I have managed to go into a log file and it clearly shows that graphics drivers being loaded and shortly stopped afterwards.

The other option is to install something like Arch Linux and start adding components bit by bit but that will be sooooo time consuming... Unless somebody who is really Linux savvy thinks otherwise or perhaps experienced this kind of problem and managed to fix it with Ubuntu installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Erikas View Post
    I have thought the same that it is a compatibility issue with AMD chip. It seems as if Linux trying to load drivers from the location which is not compatible to this specific hardware.

I have managed to go into a log file and it clearly shows that graphics drivers being loaded and shortly stopped afterwards.

The other option is to install something like Arch Linux and start adding components bit by bit but that will be sooooo time consuming... Unless somebody who is really Linux savvy thinks otherwise or perhaps experienced this kind of problem and managed to fix it with Ubuntu installed.
    Actually I just solved it and in hindsight it is rather simple.
    Through Unetbootin I downloaded a copy of the Ubuntu 64bit dayly image onto a 2GB stick, plugged that into the U38N, attached an ethernet cable through the converter into the next USB connection and hooked up a proper screen through the HDMI connection. I then booted into the live image, which only showed on the hooked screen, but otherwise functioned fine. I erased the default D: drive and split it into a 4GB swap partition, a 250MB partition to install Grub onto and the rest of the free space I broke up into a partition for Ubuntu and an NTFS partition which I will use for files and folders that I want to share with Windows 8.
    Installation then went without a hitch, Grub loaded upon reboot with Ubuntu and Windows 8 both aboard and both booting. Still Ubuntu only showed on the hooked screen, but after installing the proprietary fglrx driver and rebooting, it now works without anything attached.

Beans

Interesting and sounds positive.

Have you tried restarting and shutting down several times the computer? Rebooted without any glitches?

Have you changed anything on BIOS settings prior this re-installation? To something more friendlier?
    Last edited by Erikas; July 15th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Beans

Managed to boot straight into desktop 5 times now, either by reboot, hard boot or reboot from Windows 8. No issues yet and hope it stays this way. The thing I indeed forgot to mention are the UEFI settings. Like suggest by you and on several sites I browsed for this problem, one has to turn on CSM (set to Enabled). Then turn off Secure Boot Control. The tricky thing there for me was that it took like 3 times before it actually accepted those settings and inbetween I did set an administrator password for the UEFI. So even when you apply those settings, save and exit UEFI, reboot into it and check if your new settings actually are applied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast