Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OPT OUT of PRISM

Beans

Re: OPT OUT of PRISM

I got in trouble at my first job out of college for doing something I wasn't supposed to on the computer (I'll spare you the details).

Our head of IT said something that made a lot of sense and has stuck with me ever sense:

"Don't do anything on the Internet you wouldn't want to see on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper."

Sound advice; the best way to survive in our world of constant surveilance is to not have anything to hide.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    "Don't do anything on the Internet you wouldn't want to see on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper."

Sound advice; the best way to survive in our world of constant surveilance is to not have anything to hide.
    /thread
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    /thread

Isn't that part of the old "sudo" login mantra?

Either way, good things to go by.
    That's the kind of society I want to build. I want a guarantee -- with physics and mathematics, not with laws -- that we can give ourselves real privacy of personal communications. - John Gilmore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking about https://prism-break.org/ and ubuntu, I would love to see an ubuntu flavor or a special software that allow the user to activate the recommendations listed in this webpage.

The issue of Amazon is a detail in my opinion, as said, you just turn off online search and that sit.

But aside, I would like to get rid of Google and I would love to have a distrib that automatically include encrypted email (with a wizard to create the encryption key, etc.), a safe could files store, Tor activated in firefox, etc.

It should not be so complicated to setup... Actually, a soft in the ubuntu repo that can be run by any ubuntu flavor and by mint would be nice!

What do you think?
    Pierre

Beans

From a nephew this morning (a little above my pay grade, but I wondered about Linus and the Intel patch):

http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail...ly/004728.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vmalep View Post
    Talking about https://prism-break.org/ and ubuntu, I would love to see an ubuntu flavor or a special software that allow the user to activate the recommendations listed in this webpage.

The issue of Amazon is a detail in my opinion, as said, you just turn off online search and that sit.

But aside, I would like to get rid of Google and I would love to have a distrib that automatically include encrypted email (with a wizard to create the encryption key, etc.), a safe could files store, Tor activated in firefox, etc.

It should not be so complicated to setup... Actually, a soft in the ubuntu repo that can be run by any ubuntu flavor and by mint would be nice!

What do you think?
    Pierre
    Pierre,
    out of the box encryption is indeed a seductive idea but IIRC in some jurisdictions the act of encrypting data may well be against the law. I do believe that Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras contains some code that is against the law in some countries and so has to be activated by a direct action by the user.
    As always tools do exist and with a little exploration and forethought a user can select which tools to deploy.

PS after glancing at your user information I see that you are using 9.10, had you thought of upgrading to something like 12.04lts with all the updated security patches? Every little helps.
    Last edited by tubbygweilo; July 14th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans

Turn off the Amazon 'leaks'... voila. As for using an unsupported OS, yeah... you've got a lot more to worry about. When an attacker wants into a system they basically have to use a chain of vulnerabilities - one to get some kind of control over the process, which will include an overflow and likely a data leak, if not more. Then something to escalate privileges. If you don't patch, they don't have to worry about chaining vulnerabilities, there will already be a hundred known ones for your system.

In terms of, specifically, PRISM just use HTTPS-Everywhere, use services you trust, use open source software that you can verify has been vetted by someone or some organization, etc. It's not too hard.
    sig

Beans

There are multiple services you can use to avoid or negate data mining and data collection.

Clearly if the data is stored - the government will raise a court order to obtain that information, so the first rule is to avoid services that resell your data.

1. Search engine.
    Use www.startpage.com
    Use www.duckduckgo.com
    Never use Google, Bing, Yahoo or AOL for search - or any of the 60 services operated by Google, due to their "Perfect Recall" policy and the single logon.

2. Email
    Use www.hushmail.com
    Use www.startmail.com - due to released in the next month or so, and they are looking for beta testers.
    http://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2013/...for-startpage/

3. Chat
    cryptocat.

4. VPN
    Use OpenVPN software.
    Use a VPN that does not keep server logs, and deletes those server logs every day or faster.
    www.ivpn.net - deletes logs every 10 minutes. But look for a VPN that does not co-operate with authorities, Local Councils, Benefit agencies, Tax man etc. Some will hand your data over to anyone who asks... and that includes divorce lawyers. Always choose a VPN that is based outside of your own country, so that court orders do not apply.
    http://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2013/...-your-privacy/

5. Install Ghostery, privacyfix and disconnect.me on all web browsers.
    http://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2013/...-all-trackers/

6. Use HTTPS Everywhere.
    Be aware that SSL can be compromised, espeically by the Government.

Further tool lists here
    http://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2013/...2%9A%A1-break/
    Operate your own private cloud, do not use Amazon, Google or any US based company, who must comply with both FISA and The Patriot Act.

Use EU servers such as www.startpage.com - who do not track you and are AUDITED by the EU to ensure no data leakage, and no server logs are kept.

Beans

Arstechnica offers some thoughts upon encrypted mail tools for people to use http://arstechnica.com/security/2013...-the-nsa-away/, but as with all email encrypted of not it is the passage through the net that allows unencrypted who, when, where meta data to be collected. The other problem with any encrypted email communication is that you firstly need to have people install something so that you may interact in an encrypted way and secondly do you trust them with your security? I'm more worried about businesses collecting data and passing it about in ways that are often rather obscure even after viewing their privacy policies.

Beans

I would not trust Cryptocat with anything particularly sensitive.
    sig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast