Thread: Black booting screen after installing Nvidia geforce driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Black booting screen after installing Nvidia geforce driver.

Hi.I have Ubuntu 12.10 32 bit and I recently installed nvidia driver in my desktop.I am facing no issues just that the Ubuntu booting screen doesn't come and instead of a black screen is shown and then I am directly at the log-in screen.I just want to know why is this happening and is there any solution to it.
    I want this screen back instead of a black screen or this one-->

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Black booting screen after installing Nvidia geforce driver.

Quote Originally Posted by arnav803 View Post
    Hi.I have Ubuntu 12.10 32 bit and I recently installed nvidia driver in my desktop.I am facing no issues just that the Ubuntu booting screen doesn't come and instead of a black screen is shown and then I am directly at the log-in screen.I just want to know why is this happening and is there any solution to it.<snipped image>
    I want this screen back instead of a black screen or this one-->
    <snipped image>
    I had similar occurring after installing the nvidia restricted drivers with this install of 12.04. I was using it for a while and noticed it corrected itself after I used some commands when altering the grub menu. I ran update-grub and update-initramfs, I suspected at the time my use of update-initramfs may have updated the information in the initramfs for the Plymouth screens.

I'd suggest you try the code below in a terminal,
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    then when the code finishes, close the terminal and reboot the machine. You may not note the end Plymouth screen changing until subsequent reboots even if the code works; if it doesn't change try another reboot immediately to note if it has worked fully.

If the code does fix the screens and you have more than one kernel installed, to update-initramfs for all your kernels installed, run the code below,
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

what does your grub boot file look like? if you removed splash from the boot line then you won't see a splash screen anymore

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    what does your grub boot file look like? if you removed splash from the boot line then you won't see a splash screen anymore
    +1 good idea to check that OP. An easy way to check is with terminal,
    Code:
    cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    this should return 2 entries the one with _DEAULT on the end here shows the splash entry. From my install
    :~$ cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: Black booting screen after installing Nvidia geforce driver.

Thanks guys that helped me and i also found an excellent guide to do this --->http://jechem.blogspot.be/2011/04/fi...ubuntu-on.html . Thanks again!!