Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Shut Down and/or Reboot 13.10!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unable to Shut Down and/or Reboot 13.10!

Not sure what the problem is. All 13.10 is letting me do right now is either Log Out and/or Lock the Computer!
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Unable to Shut Down and/or Reboot 13.10!

Greetings,
    Try shutdown -h, Raring did this for a couple of days until they fixed it.

Beans
    Distro

Same for me. I think it's maybe something to do with systemd-logind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The poweroff issue was fixed a while ago.
    And it was indeed due to the new systemd upgrade which brought in logind (instead of old consolekit).
    Now this upgrade never made it into raring, so you could not have experienced it there.
    Unless, you had enabled Gnome3 Staging PPA.

I think the systemd upgrade in SS yesterday should not have had the poweroff issue.
    However, after updating you need to reboot your setup.
    Do that in terminal commanding:
    Code:
    sudo reboot

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Unable to Shut Down and/or Reboot 13.10!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    The poweroff issue was fixed a while ago.
    And it was indeed due to the new systemd upgrade which brought in logind (instead of old consolekit).
    Now this upgrade never made it into raring, so you could not have experienced it there.
    Unless, you had enabled Gnome3 Staging PPA.

I think the systemd upgrade in SS yesterday should not have had the poweroff issue.
    However, after updating you need to reboot your setup.
    Do that in terminal commanding:
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    Yes, the issue is now fixed, it might have also had something to do with the fact that I had Saucy-Proposed Enabled. I have since Re-installed Saucy from a 13.04 USB Flash Drive Installer, and this time I left Saucy-Proposed Disabled. By the way, due to the fact that I have UEFI Firmware on 1 of my 3 Computers, I always use X64 Unity Ubuntu, NOT Gnome-PPA Ubuntu, just to let you know.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans

It was happening also in Ubuntu 13.04. I and some guys in Brazil had the same problem, sometimes.

Beans
    Distro

For me it did not happen until I put in Ventrical's 3 command's, and then started receiving the Saucy Updates from the Saucy Repos. For me it does still occur right after a Clean 13.04 install, followed by Ventrical's 3 commands, but before I Reboot 13.10 for the first time right after the 3 commands. To fix the issue I do a Control + Alt + F1, I then wait for the Login Screen to change from the 13.04 Login Screen (which is Broken at the momment) to the 13.10 Login Screen (takes about 30-60 seconds after Loading Up the TTY1 Screen, assuming that you did the 13.04 to 13.10 Conversion Correctly), then I Login using my Computer Name and Password and then I type in: "sudo shutdown now -h" which forces the computer to turn itself off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    For me it did not happen until I put in Ventrical's 3 command's, and then started receiving the Saucy Updates from the Saucy Repos. For me it does still occur right after a Clean 13.04 install, followed by Ventrical's 3 commands, but before I Reboot 13.10 for the first time right after the 3 commands. To fix the issue I do a Control + Alt + F1, I then wait for the Login Screen to change from the 13.04 Login Screen (which is Broken at the momment) to the 13.10 Login Screen (takes about 30-60 seconds after Loading Up the TTY1 Screen, assuming that you did the 13.04 to 13.10 Conversion Correctly), then I Login using my Computer Name and Password and then I type in: "sudo shutdown now -h" which forces the computer to turn itself off.

Me too facing the same issue. I manually type the shutdown command from command prompt. How to fix this? Any solution?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It has been this way for me for a long time. I have cairo dock installed and use the logout button there to restart. It also notifies me when there is a need to restart after updating files.
    Logout and Suspend are the only things that work from the top right button in flashback.

There's a bug for it I believe but I'm not sure where it is.

Beans

Smile Re: Unable to Shut Down and/or Reboot 13.10!

Hello All I was also facing same issues few days back , it was observed by me this was the bug which was occurred after upgrading to Ubuntu 13.XX
    from 12.XX

if you did installed cairo dock same thing will work ,
    to trouble shoot this issue
    I googled
    software essentails for ubuntu 13.XX

one ubuntu professional updated all code to install software from CLI
    interestingly i found software such as reduce battery consumption
    this is surprisingly I got more than my expectation now mys system runs like rolling on smooth butter

http://www.unixmen.com/top-things-in...ubuntu-13-10/#
    this is the link

LINUX is the best thing happen in my life , Ubuntu is the gateway for this special world where dominance by windows doesnt hold anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast