Thread: Why does my cursor look like this during loading?

Beans

Why does my cursor look like this during loading?

What appears is a cursor with a spinning wheel partially obscuring it, not just the pointer being replaced with a wheel. How can this be fixed?
    Right after installing Lubuntu 12.04, the cursor became a wheel during loading like normal. Soon after completing the installation, though, I checked for updates. It seems to only have occured once I started installing those updates, and not before I began their installation, so that could be a clue.
    Last edited by caraj; July 12th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why does my cursor look like this during loading?

Sounds like normal behaviour to me.

Beans

If it always does that, then it's possible I just didn't notice. I'm new enough.Still, though, it doesn't do that except on the internet. What's the purpose of that? Why appear two ways? What other OS does that?
    Last edited by caraj; July 12th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

haha...its pretty normal behaviour....thread resolved i think....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've never noticed but yeah same here. It is weird that the loading cursor looks different depending on the program, but if I've never even noticed until now it obviously not a big deal
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

It is true that it causes no technical issues, but it looks so aesthetically displeasing to me that looking at it can be irksome. I know this preference is arbitrary, but it was worth asking about just in case.
    Last edited by caraj; July 13th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Beans

They're just 2 different cursor animations and I think it may depend on how the applications implement them.
    Eg in chrome when loading a page I get the pointer with wheel(left_ptr_watch), while in opera I just get the wheel(watch).
    The pointer with wheel is supposed indicate something is loading but you can still interact with the UI.

If it's annoying, you could in your cursor theme link the left_ptr_watch image to the watch image.
    Last edited by stinkeye; July 14th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.