Thread: Installing jre-7u25...tar.gz error "bash: etc/profile: No such file or directory"

Beans

Installing jre-7u25...tar.gz error "bash: etc/profile: No such file or directory"

hi,iwant to install jre-7u25-linux-i586.tar.gz in my Ubuntu 13.04 (lubuntu). I follow the instruction for installation from here http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Oracl...n-Ubuntu-Linux. On step 14, I've got an error when entered this command :
    Code:
    ./etc/profile
    The error is :
    Code:
    bash: etc/profile: No such file or directory
    But if skipped that and go to step 16. The result when i entered "java -version" is
    Code:
    java version "1.7.0_25"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b15)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)
    It's little different result in "build 23.1-b03" that showed in the wikihow installation guide.
    How can I fix that? If i skipped step 16, is there a problem when using java? please help me,
    Last edited by unknown24; July 12th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Beans

Re: Installing jre-7u25...tar.gz error "bash: etc/profile: No such file or directory"

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
    There, that installs Java 7. No fuss, and is updated regularly with each Java 7 release!

What you have at the moment, and what was shown in terminal was openjdk-1.7. TheOpen Source Java for Linux.

Beans

Re: Installing jre-7u25...tar.gz error "bash: etc/profile: No such file or directory"

Thank for your replying, but reason i use tar.gz is to have installation offline.
    If i want to reinstal my OS no need to use internet connection again to install JRE.
    I have limited internet connection.

Beans

I agree it's not the best way to install the Oracle jre

However, your specific error is likely because you copied #14 wrongly - it's not

Code:
    ./etc/profile
    (meaning "try to execute a command called 'profile' in a directory 'etc' relative to the current directory") it's
    Code:
    . /etc/profile
    (note the space!) meaning "re-read ('source') the /etc/profile file that you just modified"

I haven't read the whole thing but /etc/profile will get re-read anyway next time you login so as far as I can tell step #14 really only there so you get an 'instant' check of whether your changes took effect

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Absolute Beginners.

Beans

excellent,,, there is no error found,,,
    thanks a lot,,,