Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer crashes after bootup after attempting to install a wifi card

Beans

Unhappy Computer crashes after bootup after attempting to install a wifi card

I attempted to install a new trendnet wireless pc card, since my previous card died. I could not find a driver for Ubuntu linux 12.04 so found the win-wrapper solution and attempted to install that. Win-wrapper appeared to install ok, but when I added the driver it gave me an error. I then tried a usb wifi adapter and it was automatically recognized and worked. When I restarted my computer however, Now my computer is crashing shortly after bootup.
    Evidently this process corrupted something.
    Here is the series of messages that pop up shortly after booting up:
    "A volume of software packages has been detected"
    "Would you like to open it with the package manager?" I click on "start package manager"
    "Enter password" I enter password
    "Unable to get exclusive lock - this usually means that another package management app (like apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close that app first." I click on the close button for this dialog
    "software index is broken, run synaptic"

The computer crashes and goes to a text screen somewhere in this process, or if I just wait after booting up, it crashes anyway and goes to a screen dump. The only thing I can read that's intelligible to me is "modprobe tainted"

I really need help getting my computer stable so I can use it again.
    Last edited by JohnCarlson; July 16th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Computer crashes after bootup after attempting to install a wifi card

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Have you removed the new trendnet wireless pc card?

Are you you prepared to continue in the text screen, maybe with some help from the community?

Do you remember or can you get the information from some error output, what is the offending package?

You can run

Code:
     sudo apt-get remove packagename
    to remove a package with the name 'packagename'.

You can also try several commands one after another, but you must tell us where to start, to get instructions that fit your experience with the linux command line.

Beans

Well, this is difficult reporting the screen dump because it doesn't appear that I can copy and paste the contents, put it on a memory card, transfer it to my wife's working computer to get online and post it. It also doesn't seem like I can print the screen to my printer. Print Screen doesn't seem to work. And my computer crashes long before I'm able to go online. Is there a way to create a report file/copy a report file from the screen dump when my computer crashes? Maybe I could copy a file to a usb device before crashing, that would make this a lot easier than typing it all in by reading the screen and retyping everything here. But I can do that if there isn't a faster way. Any ideas?
    The first couple lines after ----cut here---- are:
    [762.975121] kernel BUG at include/net/cfg80211.h:2209!
    [762.975136] invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP

Beans

Ok, I managed to copy these files from /var/log onto my usb memory stick right before crashing again. What is the most useful for troubleshooting? I can now copy and paste any of this information from this computer.
    dpkg.log
    syslog
    Xorg.0.log
    auth.log
    kern.log
    pm-powersave.log
    wtmp
    udev
    dmesg
    boot.log
    Xorg.0.log.old
    dmesg.0
    dmesg.1.gz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please use code tags - if you are using New Reply button - highlight text and use the # button in the text box header.

If using Quick Reply then [code] at the beginning and [/code] at the end.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not good at reading log files. I hope someone who knows what to look for is reading this and can help solve this problem.

-o-

Have you removed the new trendnet wireless pc card?

Can you boot from an Ubuntu install CD/DVD/USB drive (boot a live session without installing anything)?

Beans

Yes, I pulled that card out as soon as I realized it wasn't going to work. I don't have a cd or dvd writer, and I saw on the forums that I might be able to boot to a usb drive, so I bought a new flash drive, downloaded the iso file and made it bootable. I changed my bios to boot from it, but for some reason I could not boot from it.

I am sorry for not knowing exactly what to give you for information. I'm not new to computers, but my skills are probably dangerous, and I'm completely new to Linux. I got this laptop second hand and it already had Ubuntu Linux on it. I upgraded it to 12.04 about a month or so ago and it seemed to be going fine until I tried to install this ndis-wrapper and wifi card (sorry I mispoke before, stating "win-wrapper") Anyway, I don't understand Linux yet, and I'm sure I created this problem by not understanding what I was doing, trying to follow posted information to install that card, and to fix my problem once it started, so I hope you have patience. I'll try to provide whatever I can to help someone help me. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarlson View Post
    ...so I bought a new flash drive, downloaded the iso file and made it bootable. I changed my bios to boot from it, but for some reason I could not boot from it.
    This sounds suspicious. You haven't mentioned your system yet and should add system information (If I didn't miss this). You should also add if your laptop has only Ubuntu installed, or if you dual boot (using Grub? Grub2?).

While I (fortunately) have not yet had to deal with UEFI boots under Ubuntu (or Windows, for the matter), failing to boot a live USB sounds as if you work maybe under a UEFI motherboard, using a pre-UEFI bootable USB. In this case, I just know that there are issues, and steps to take first. Here is a sample link about what to do, which doesn't necessarily help you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2111720. You should then also consider to read the wikipedia entry about UEFI. I think before you do anything else, you'll need clarity about this, and get the live USB to work because if you can't even do that, installing/uninstalling drivers and hardware is going to be a challenge. As I haven't had to deal with such issues, I won't be of any help, but you might update the name of your post to reflect the issue more precisely (If that's possible? I think it is - if not, consider asking a different question such as "Getting Ubuntu live USB to work on UEFI motherboard for (insert name and precise model of your computer)."

Good luck!
    Last edited by gnometorule; July 13th, 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@ John,

It appears from your first post that perhaps you happened to have an update offered when you momentarily had connection. There was an installation in progress and you restarted it prematurely, causing the package-manager lock "Open". However, that should not cause the crashing issue.

I suspect that maybe you had a graphics driver being installed when you restarted. Either that driver wasn't properly installed or is having other issues (graphics drivers are the most common reasons for system crashes, but are not the only reasons).

When the system starts to boot (at the purple splash screen), can you access the grub menu by pressing a key (shift or Esc perhaps)? If you can, try booting into "recovery mode" (the second option in the grub menu). If you can boot into recovery mode (gui or text only, whatever possible), we can attempt to find the cause and cure it. Otherwise, I'm afraid your only 'sane' option is to just do a re-install.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I did a little more research and found commands to get computer information from the recovery bootup prompt. When I have more time tonight I'll retype the screen dump information from when my computer crashes. And yes, I did respond to a prompt to upgrade to 12.04 and said, why not? After I did so I did have some screen glitches but have been booting into Ubuntu 2d and haven't had any problems until trying to install this wifi card. I'm not trying to be suspicious about this. It's technically challenging for me and frustrating to figure out how to get the information needed to get to the bottom of this:
    Code:
    processor:  0
    vendor_id:  GenuineIntel
    cpu family: 6
    model:       9
    model name:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 1400MHz
    stepping:    5
    microcode: 0x5
    cpu MHz:  600.000
    cache size: 1024kb
    fdiv_bug:  no

Linux  version 3.2.0 -48-generic (buildd@lamiak) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu  /LINARO 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #74-Ubuntu SMP THU JUN 6 19:45:16 UTC 2013  John@john-laptop:~$

memtotal:  507584kb
    memfree: 152404kb
    buffers:  117016kb
    cached: 143652kb
    swapcached: 0kb
    active: 98872kb
    inactive: 191436kb
    active(anon): 30296kb
    inactive (anon): 192kb
    active (file): 68576kb

swap partition:
    filename       type       size        used     priority
    /dev/sda5    partition  1253372   0          -1

lspci shows:
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev81)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface bridge (rev01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801 DBM (ICH4-M) IDE Controller (rev01)
    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801 DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 64M] (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller Broadcom corporation BCM4401 100BASE-T (rev 01)
    02:01.0 CARDBUS bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev02)
    02:01.1 FireWire (ieee 1394): Texas Instruments PCI4510 IEEE-1394 Controller
    02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless LAN Controller (rev02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast