Thread: One week using Fedora 19, and still going strong

Beans

One week using Fedora 19, and still going strong

Last week Fedora released its newest version Fedora 19 Schrodingers Cat

And its actually a very solid release! I mean seriously this is a good distro that Fedoras got now.
    After playing with Manjaro and finding its quite unstable I jumped ship back to ubuntu for a bit.
    But then came Fedora 19, as a person who is mixed about Fedroa this is actually the one worth talking about.
    Its stable, steady and rather quick.
    And considering the fact that Fedora has a very ample supply of packages this may be my distro for some time.
    Sure I will try Ubuntu 13.10 but if its a bad release i know what my fallback will be

Beans

Re: One week using Fedora 19, and still going strong

It's such a good release because this is the next release of RHEL will be based on. I admit Fedora 19 is good, but I can't get it to work like I want it to. Flashplayer is broken, can't sleep my PC, (Crashes on wake), outdated Nvidia driver in RPMFusion, ect...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fedora is one of the first distros I tried and I couldn't get it to work at the time, but that was back around Fedora 8 or 9. I tried it again at 14 (I think) and I couldn't get anything to work! It was actually going to be my most recent install (I plan on studying for Red Hat certs and wanted some experience with the Red Hat based user environment) but it wouldn't install on my netbook (don't laugh, it was cheap). I plan on getting a real laptop soon though. Do you know how well it works on laptops? Also, anyone able to get Steam games to work in it? I know those are more "fedoraforums" questions, but I want an Ubuntu users opinion, lol.
    Last edited by Dreamer-of-Days; July 11th, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Yeah, it is an amazing release, and F18 was great too even though there was some issues with the installer. With Canonical pushing Xmir rather immaturely (as it seems at the moment) onto users in 13.10 I may have to switch to Fedora, at least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyBrooke;
    .., outdated Nvidia driver in RPMFusion, ect...
    You can get the up to date one from rpmfusion-rawhide. Ubuntu's Nvidia driver is out of date too, unless you use ppa. BTW, I wonder if some of your problems may have to do with Selinux, which can be disabled or set to permissive mode.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 11th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer-of-Days View Post
    Fedora is one of the first distros I tried and I couldn't get it to work at the time, but that was back around Fedora 8 or 9. I tried it again at 14 (I think) and I couldn't get anything to work! It was actually going to be my most recent install (I plan on studying for Red Hat certs and wanted some experience with the Red Hat based user environment) but it wouldn't install on my netbook (don't laugh, it was cheap). I plan on getting a real laptop soon though. Do you know how well it works on laptops? Also, anyone able to get Steam games to work in it? I know those are more "fedoraforums" questions, but I want an Ubuntu users opinion, lol.
    I started playing with Fedora 12 or 13 and it sucked back then but the recent releases are quite solid (Fedora 16 and later) , I don't have a desktop so yeah, all my Linux experience is on laptops. I don't know about Steam though, since I don't play games. I am currently using KDE on Fedora, don't think it would be great for games anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I don't know about Steam though, since I don't play games. I am currently using KDE on Fedora, don't think it would be great for games anyway.
    Oh well, if nothing else I can always have it setup to dual boot. My last project in Ubuntu was getting Oblivion to run through various VMs, but I never had any success. But I digress, I'll have to try using Fedora again. Thanks for the info!