Hello everyone,

Just recently installed Ubuntu 13.04 (x64) on a new laptop (Acer s3). Basically, I bought this machine brand new, and installed Ubuntu over Windows 8 with the Live CD. I did not wipe the hard drive before the new install, I just mearly used Ubuntu's quick format method, and did not do any custom partitioning. I set up preboot authentication with LUKS (whole disk encryption) since it gave me the option to do so during installation. I also seperately encrypted the HOME directory.This morning, while half asleep, I had 3 consecutive preboot authentication failures attempts and I was dropped into a shell. Is this normal?

I did read a little about initramfs. This does not appear to be a big gaping security hole? However, I am concerned about the alert. (/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root does not exist.) Also want to mention that when I reboot the system, as long as I don't fail preboot authentication 3 times, it will let me boot right into the system. normally. Below is the message (retyped) displayed by Ubuntu.

Gave up waiting or root device. Common Problems
- Boot args (cat /prIoc/cmdline)
- check rootdelay = '(did the system wait long enough?)
-missing modules (cat /proc modules; is /dev)
Alert! /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell

BusyBox v1.20.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.20.0 - 8ubuntu1)
built in shell (ash)
enter 'help' for a list of built in commands
(initramfs)_

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

traxster